Thread: Cassette Wiggle

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Cassette Wiggle

Well before i modify my bike i decided to tune up everything and clean everything. I decided to cleane the rims and repack them with polylube from park. Went smoothly and works great. I check my sram cassette and i noticed that it doesnt fell on the hub very good. It has a very slight move:

up and down grabbing the smallest cog, less play up and down when grabbing the biggest cog

side to side play when grabbing the biggest cog, bigger amount when grabbing the smaller cog

Note: the play in the cassette is very very slight, its a sram pc-830 8 speed

What can cause this?? When spinning the bicycle you can see it bob up + down. Its this just because it is a lower class cassette? Are the tolerences tighter with the better models?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    It's more likely your freehub then a loose cassette fit. What rear hub do you have, a shimano?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    a stock one on a specialized hardrock, joytech?

It's also possible your cogset's lockring isn't tight.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    It's also possible your cogset's lockring isn't tight.
    Yes.

Being a joytech, they are quite a cheap hub, so it is likely that it the freehub is loose or worn-out. Maybe take it to a bike shop and ask them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Yes.

Being a joytech, they are quite a cheap hub, so it is likely that it the freehub is loose or worn-out. Maybe take it to a bike shop and ask them?

My bike is brand new!

If you don't have the tools to check for yourself, take it to a bike shop or a friend with the tools and knowledge to take the cassette off and see what's going on...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    mine has about 0.5-1mm of horizontal play, i never had any problems with it so im not worrying about it.

the freehub body would just be too small if its bounching up and down, it is a cheap joytehc after all...

Wolf nipple chips

could be two things

I work at a shop, and have found that some cassettes can actually be tightened. That is, as you hold the cassette in your hand, some have an allen screw that faces the spokes, and allows you to dismantle the cassette and replace specific cogs. it would be a tiny screw, maybe a 2 or 3 mm. The cassette generally has to be off of the freehub to do this. If this is what is loose, you should be able to rotate the cogs independently of each other just a little bit, but not by much.

it could also be the inherent play that some freehubs have in them, which is pretty normal. I would almost expect it from a joytech. also, check the cassette lockring, as has already been mentioned; make sure that when you tighten it down, you tighten the crap out of it.

CF

Chrome Toaster
    A little bit of back and forth play (or up and down) on a cassette when its loose is typically NORMAL. Particularly the ones with aluminium spiders. About 0.5 to 1mm of play is not uncommon. They are made like that to accommodate different freehub shell tolerances. The wiggle doesn't matter because once its tightened down it will shift towards the front splines and chain pull will always load the splines towards the front. Whats behind doesn't matter. Tolerances on individual cogs tend to be tighter because unlike the aluminium spider which evenly distributes the load accross the entire slines surface, the smaller edge of an individual cog will eventually chew through the freehub spline if it doesn't have enough surface contact to distribute the load on. This is much more pronounced on softer shells like Ti or Al some hubs use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    o thanks. I somewhat figured it was normal, putting load on the cassette it goes away.