mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which cassette SRAM or Shimano?

Long time Shimano user and I am picking up a rig (Epic Expert 29er). How does the SRAM 1050 cassette that comes stock with the bike compare to a Shimano XT 10 speed?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did ride 9 speed only, but I guess same rules applies for both...

Switched Sram 950 to XT 9 speed. HUGE difference. XT shifts much better. Crisp, fast and sounds better And it shed mud much better. I had to clean sram once in a while - no problems with shimano.

mtbr member
    I'm completely dedicated to SRAM chains. SRAM cassettes, not so much. I wear through PG 990 cassettes in a blink. XTR are almost as bad but very light, so you trade weight for longevity. An XT cassette will easily outlast either of those many times over - it really is the best value. BTW, in the upper end of the product lines, they all shift fine.
    'Bones

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good to hear, so maybe that 1050 should come off and an XT 771 should take it's place....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Good to hear, so maybe that 1050 should come off and an XT 771 should take it's place....
    That makes no sense to me. If you don't like the performance, then switch. Otherwise, wear it out, then switch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's hard to draw much of a conclusion when comparing sram's least expensive cassette (950, 1050) to shimano's more expensive cassettes (xt). I haven't had experience with many, but the sram 980 on my hardtail seems to shift just a tad smoother than my hg80 (slx). Both are about the same price. Funny how different people have different preferences - unlike brokenbones, I prefer shimano chains.

I'm with smilinsteve, at least ride it before making a decision. On the other hand, buy an xtr or xx if you have the budget and it makes you happy.

Plays with tools
    Shimano has all of the worth while patents tied up. Sram is left with a 2nd best solution at best. No place on the bicycle is this more apparent than in cassettes and chainrings.

If you can swap out that entry level Sram cassette for the XT at the time of purchase go for it. If not wear it out the replace it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    One think to consider is the cassette body/carrier. Most of the low end casettes are 9/10 indavidual cogs with spacers in between. When you get to the better Shimano and Sram cassettes they are usually groups of cassette bodies and the end result is they will not chew up the expensive free hub bodies on your hub as quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Shimano has all of the worth while patents tied up. Sram is left with a 2nd best solution at best. No place on the bicycle is this more apparent than in cassettes and chainrings.

If you can swap out that entry level Sram cassette for the XT at the time of purchase go for it. If not wear it out the replace it.
    I just swapped an XT for a SRAM PG991. I cant tell the difference. Both nice cassettes with aluminum spider (but I like the red spider on the SRAM better )

I don't know what part of the Shimano cassette would still be patented. The ramps and pins concept patents have long expired and obviously SRAM has the same thing going on. By looking at them, I can't see what Shimano has that SRAM doesn't.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I just swapped an XT for a SRAM PG991. I cant tell the difference. Both nice cassettes with aluminum spider (but I like the red spider on the SRAM better )

I don't know what part of the Shimano cassette would still be patented. The ramps and pins concept patents have long expired and obviously SRAM has the same thing going on. By looking at them, I can't see what Shimano has that SRAM doesn't.
    Then why don't you ride with the DimSum brand cassette. They're $20 USD brand new, and have ramps, pins, and carriers just like the big boy cassettes. They're all the same right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    Then why don't you ride with the DimSum brand cassette. They're $20 USD brand new, and have ramps, pins, and carriers just like the big boy cassettes. They're all the same right?
    I don't know. Maybe they are. My guess would be that they might be cheap material, that would either wear quickly, be heavy, or both. But as far as shifting performance, it wouldn't surprise me if it shifted just fine.

I don't know anything about the brand, but in fact it wouldn't surprise me if you could get a Chinese knock off of equivalent quality to Shimano or SRAM for 20 bucks. You know they make them in China anyway, and you know that most of that price tag is just profit, right?

Who knows, that Dim Sum might be a shimano cassette that's made in the same factory after hours and rebranded for a different market. It happens all the time.

Mountain Man Dan
    After reading through many of these threads about cassettes, and chains. Everyone has a different favorite. People all talk ***** about Sram chains, KMC, and Shimano. Look at the reviews on here, they all suck for every chain because everyone has broken one. Same with cassettes, just get what you want. No one can tell you what good or bad, they just tell you what they like and that it works. It's probably in their head anyway that Shimano Cassettes work better then Sram or the other way around.

Personally, I just run with Sram cassette, and Sram chain. Chain is super easy to install. In the end, cassettes and chains wear out, doesn't matter which brand. It's not like one wears out a year later then the other. It's very minimal.

My .02.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post

You need to raise your standards. Or benefit and just buy cheaper stuff.

I don't know what the specifics of the patents are that Shimano has. But I've herd from both sides that Shimano has a great deal of the market block off through patents. They also patent a lot of things that they wind up never using (not uncommon for big companies). This is why it took Sram forever to bring a trigger shifter to market, and when they finally did they got sued for it anyway. I've also herd this is part of the reason that FSA has been working on a complete road groupo for a decade and still doesn't have anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    You need to raise your standards. Or benefit and just buy cheaper stuff.
    ????
    I don't know what the specifics of the patents are that Shimano has. But I've herd from both sides that Shimano has a great deal of the market block off through patents.
    You don't know? Well before you tell me I need to raise my standards, why don't you come back with some facts.

They also patent a lot of things that they wind up never using (not uncommon for big companies). This is why it took Sram forever to bring a trigger shifter to market, and when they finally did they got sued for it anyway. I've also herd this is part of the reason that FSA has been working on a complete road groupo for a decade and still doesn't have anything.
    I don't know how much you know about patents, but they expire. You shouldn't be claiming that SRAM can't use the same technology as Shimano in their cassettes, unless you have some information about what specific magic feature Shimano has that SRAM can't use.

Just a flesh wound
    SRAM and Shimano are both good cassettes. Shimano lasts longer. That last statement is from my experiences. So is the first.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.