mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. Cassette skiping on my 5 Spot. (x-post)

Hi all.

Sorry for the stupid question...I am not much of a wrench (just like to ride) but thought I would make an attempt at doing some off-season work on my Turner 5 Spot instead of just forking the bucks to the LBS as usual. One of the many things I did was replace my old worn out rear cassette. Problem I am facing now is when engage the drivetrain, I can rotate the crank 1/2 - 3/4 turn before the rear hub engages. This was not the case prior to me working on it. I took it back apart a few times and for the life of me I can't figure out what I did wrong. The rear wheel in question is a Mavic Crossmax XL with XT drivetrain. Thanks guys for helping someone learn his way around a bike. By the way, I have no shame if I need to bring it into my shop, as I have already saved a bunch of money.

Edit: Just took my rear wheel off again and played around with it. Even with it tightened to specs, I can push in on the cassette and feel movement toward the hub. When pressed in, the cassette is engaging fully and does not skip when rotated. When i am not pressing in, the cassette occasionally skips a 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your hub needs tightened up.