Anarchist
    Jan 2004

Cassette Question

If one were to replace their 9spd cassette soon what cassets are good quality for price right now?

I aggressively CX this bike on weekends on local trails (is this called "all MTN now? "), commute all year round on the weekdays, race alley cats and ride some "Urban"....basically I just ride this bike not "Race" it .

I usually don't shell out for the highest end racer parts and instead opt for as high a quality, heavy duty utilitarian parts as I can find instead. Don't get me wrong, I like strong and light parts but I like things to last longer than a season too.

I am running a Tru-Vativ 5D, Deore bits, Sram PC58 (now that they've added 50 million chain variations to increase revenue I guess its equivilent in price to the new PC951 except that it was lighter and had the plate tooling of the PC99 Damn you SRAM!!! but I'm not gonna go on a tangent ) Chain, and Sun Race JU JU Cassette. All of which were stock.

I regularly clean and maintain my drivetrain and thus far have gone through three chains since '04 and now the cassette is worn enough, even with regular chain replcement, that the middle few rings are not compatible with a new chain without letting them wear together. Slipping chains suck.

Until the rest of the bits die they will remain in service.

I hope this gives enough of my mindset and habits to help you help me.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by vladamir
    If one were to replace their 9spd cassette soon what cassets are good quality for price right now?
    Shimano LX & XT
    SRAM 950 & 970

If you are concerned about weight, then probably go with the XT as I believe it is about 35 grams lighter.

Anarchist
    Jan 2004
    Thats what I had found via product reviews but I wanted word of mouth from cyclists through some forums.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Another factor to consider is a full 9 cog carrier. They dont bite into the freewheel hub splines and ruin the hub and cause play in the cogs like the ones with individual ones. I hope i said that right lol.
    Last edited by Fisty; 12-29-2005 at 08:41 AM.