mtbr member

Cassette problem, What should I replace with.

Hey guys, I just picked up a used Giant Rainier and am having some issues with the chain skipping jumping off on certain gears. I have a SRAM 970 9 Sped Cassette. It only does in on certain gears. So i figure a couple of the teeth on a few gears are bent/ or damaged. My question to you is do you think a new cassette and chain will elliminate this problem? And second would this cassette be an upgrade/decent replacement for my SRAM:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Cassette.aspx

if not could you suggest some. Thanks for any help. Oh and my budget is ~35$

mtbr member
    The chain skipping could be just the result of the rear derailleur not being adjusted. This is done using the the 'barrel adjuster' on the shifter. Here's a link to Park Tool's 'how to'...scroll down until you see "Checking the rear indexing adjustment':
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Regarding the cassette question the 11-32 Shimano Deore cassette for $33.82 that you linked to weighs 358gm. Your Sram 970 weighs 330gm (if same 11-32) and costs $35 thru Jensen. So the Deore would not be an upgrade, but would be about equal and weigh a few grams more.

Former Bike Wrench
    First off, make sure the derailleur is adjusted correctly and the hanger is strait. This can cause skipping in certain gears even with a new drivetrain.

Second, if the chain is worn out, then replacing the cassette will not do you any good. Here is a good article from Sheldon Brown on how to check the chain.

If, by chance the chain is OK (maybe the previous owner replaced the chain but not the cassette) then replace the cassette. But its more likely you'll have to replace both.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    These guys are right. I don't think it's the cassette, it sounds like the derailleur or the hanger. The cassettes don't ware out as fast as a lot of people on here say. You would see pointy or shark fin teeth on it.

FYI I really like xt cassettes. I have one on my hardtail that is over 10 years old, it still shifts like butter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i agree that it sounds like an ajustment issue

however, to your replacement issue - i think the sram cassattes are pretty good performers and think they are a nice cash saving alternative to shimano cassattes without giving up on quality. as was mentioned a sram 970 to a shimano hg-50 is not an upgrade and i would consider it a down grade. the hg-50 is below the lx/105 line. the 970 would fit in line with the lx/105 shimano line. the sram 980 would be equivelant to the xt line and the sram 990 would be equivelant to the xtr line.

i currently run the 970 on both my mtb and road bike and like it, especially for the price. little on the heavy side, and if i were back to racing i would go 980 or xt instead, but i'm not so i'm fine with the extra weight.

Underskilled
    The above answers are most likely correct, if that doesn't fix it you might have the issues I had.
    I am a 240lb very powerful rider, even with a new chain pulling hard I could get the 980 to fall out of gear. We swapped everything else to fix it before slinging an old deore cassette on and the problem went.

powerful rider vs non-spidered sram cassettes is not a good mix. shimano xt seems to be the best i have used

mtbr member
    yea it ended up being the cassette. Just ended up getting a new 970 and it shifts like butter. thanks for your help everyone