mtbr member

Cassette "play" on Sun Ringle Charger Pro

I just picked up a set of Sun Ringle Charger Pro's to give my '09 Stumpy a little love. I moved my cassette (9 spd Shimano XT) and rotors over and was super happy at how easy they were to setup tubeless (not the point) but when I was doing the shakes to distribute the sealant, I noticed some play in the cassette.

The "play" is a back and forth movement of about 2-3 mm which allows the cassette to move toward and away from the wheel. I have the lockring torqued to spec, however this doesn't seem to keep the cassette from moving. Someone suggested that I might need a shim/spacer between the cassette and hub flange?

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Brian

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Two things: either you've toasted the cassette aluminum carrier from having it loose on the other wheels (it happened to me once, with XTR!), or you've got some issue with your freehub.

I just put a new cassette on my very old Formula hub and there is essentially no play (under 1 mm for sure)

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is an issue with some hubs, which have slightly longer freehubs than 8/9/10 spec, and is nothing to worry about. Any LBS will have cassette spacers; I imagine you'll need a (surprise) 2-3mm spacer. You will need to make sure that whatever spacer you use, you get good thread engagement on the freehub's lockring.

Before you head out, pull the cassette off, and grab the freehub body. See if that wobbles, and if it does, you will need to replace bearings (or tighten the freehub body, if applicable).

mtbr member
    Thanks! Will try the spacer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm guessing its the freehub....if the cassette has play then it jingles everywhere......you'd also be able to tell quite easily as the last cog would sit below the edge of the freehub (allowing the lockring to bottom out on the freehub body before squeezing the cassette)
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"