mtbr member
    May 2005

Cassette keeps loosening on Stumpjumper

Hi,

my setup:
    '04 Stumpjumper Expert FSR
    Cassette: Shimano HG-50 LX, 9-speed, 11x34t
    Hub: Shimano M-525 Disc, 32 hole

The problem is that the cassette keeps getting loose. I mean the gears spin freely back and forth (within the cassette) by approx. +/- 1 cogtooth width. The looseness also causes a slight banging when I go over bumps. And I'm having terrible shifting problems. I've properly torqued the cassette down but it still loosens up.

I inspected the smallest cog and it seems it may not be fitting 100% down on the next cog. I heard that sometimes Shimano's dies would wear out and the alignment holes (or posts) weren't made deep enough. Comments? I added a spacer next to the largest cog but it loosened up again on the next ride, causing more frustrating shifting problems. If anything, the spacer exacerbated the problem.

I'm thinking of chucking it and buying an XT 760 for $75. But I'm on a budget. Can it be fixed? Maybe it's gunked up with oily dirt. Will cleaning help? Or perhaps a thicker spacer? Or a spacer which acts like a lock washer?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The LX cassette is a one piece cassette so I think that the whole thing is moving back and forth on the freehub?

When you take it off the freehub the splines of the freehub would have to be severely worn.

So something does not sound right in your analysis or maybe explanation.

My bet is that the Shimano 525 freehub is shot and the play is caused by the freehub wobbling back and forth rather than the cassette?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    To clarify, my cassette (HG-50 LX) is actually a stack so the cogs are free, not fastened or welded together as one piece. So the play is from cog to cog. The hub looked OK. I cleaned it and added another spacer and it remained tight on a long ride yesterday evening. But I wouldn't be surprised if it loosened up again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just looked up the cassette on Shimano site it shows the main cassette has one piece and the smallest two cogs are separate.

But your saying that the entire cassette has separate cogs??

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just looked up the cassette on Shimano site it shows the main cassette has one piece and the smallest two cogs are separate.

But your saying that the entire cassette has separate cogs??

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830608762.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's hard to ID on Shimano's site since there are so many variations. Couldn't find the LX version, specifically. I think this is closer to what I have:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608763.pdf

One versions shows the lower 4 cogs as being separate. I thought they were all loose but I'll have to double check.