...soon to be sith lord..

Cassette Destruction...

So I'm making my 04 Rockhopper a single speed and my intention was to use one of the cogs from my rear cassette for the rear cog (probably the 16T). So I take the cassette off and all but the smallest two chainrings are somehow clamped together, it looks like there are 3 pins running through it. Is it possible to get this thing apart, or would I just be better off spending some cash on a new single cog?
    There is a fine line between control and catastrophe
    Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    About $5 for a Shimano BMX cog.

If the pins have hex ends you can use an appropriate wrench; took apart some of my older Shimano cassettes that way, forget the size but it's damn small (had the wrench from a set of tools I had bought previously, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Meh.
    Drill bit works nicely. Ask your shop, I'm sure they have a bunch of old cassettes sitting around. I know we do.

Over the Hill
    If the cassette hub is made of aluminum, I would buy a wide single speed cog so I didn't trash my cassette hub.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I know this works, but just make sure the cog you will be using isn't too worn. On my convert SS, I started out with a new chain (PC68) and a new Spot chainring. The $5 BMX cog worked for me since I'm using it with a steel Shimano freehub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    I know this works, but just make sure the cog you will be using isn't too worn. On my convert SS, I started out with a new chain (PC68) and a new Spot chainring. The $5 BMX cog worked for me since I'm using it with a steel Shimano freehub.
    also, with a cassette cog you're more likely to have the chain jumping around (& falling off the cog), with the ramps on it. works ok if you're using a tensioner/derailler, but for $4-5 for a bmx cog it's worth it.
    1 1/4" pvc works great for use as spacers, as well as fine tuning with the spacers from the cassette you're taking apart.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]