mtbr member
    Nov 2005

... and if we just ... Cassette and chain life-span

Can anyone comment? Drivetrain is under 1 year old and i have about 3,000km on the clock (mostly mountain road and commuting). My LBS told me the cassette (123 and 789 cogs) and chain are wearing and will need replacing although I couldnt see the problem. How long are these components good for? Less than 1 year seems a trifle short to me. Can you tell from the pic?
    Use SRAM PG950 9 sp and Shimano LX chain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you talking to me?

Shark fins.

Quote Originally Posted by accidental
    Can anyone comment? Drivetrain is under 1 year old and i have about 3,000km on the clock (mostly mountain road and commuting). My LBS told me the cassette (123 and 789 cogs) and chain are wearing and will need replacing although I couldnt see the problem. How long are these components good for? Less than 1 year seems a trifle short to me. Can you tell from the pic?
    Use SRAM PG950 9 sp and Shimano LX chain.

You spend more time in the 3 hardest gears on that cassette, right? I can tell by the look of the teeth. That is what the shop is looking at. The problem is a new chain may skip because it is no longer fitting the cassette teeth right. I replace my chain 3 times a year, and get about 1500-200mi on teh cassette. It all depends on how big of a gear masher you are, the conditions, and the amount of maintenence that the parts see.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am hard on the high gears up inclines - standing on the pedals for 1+ hour climbs. Guess I will need to keep a closer eye on the wear of the drivetrain components. Do you know if cassettes come with a lockring tool or does that need to be ordered separately?

mtbr member
    Ordered seperately.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by accidental
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am hard on the high gears up inclines - standing on the pedals for 1+ hour climbs. Guess I will need to keep a closer eye on the wear of the drivetrain components. Do you know if cassettes come with a lockring tool or does that need to be ordered separately?
    You need to replace the chain every 3-6 months, that will make the cassette last longer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Are you using oil?

I have heard that SRAM cassettes tend to wear out quick. I don't know, I ride Shimano XT. Check your chain monthly for wear. When it gets 1/16" out of tolerance it is time to replace. I usually get two chains for every cassette out of my drivetrain. I typically replace the granny once a year and the middle every 1.5 years. The big goes until it gets bit on a rock.

Jaybo

MTB B'dos
    Had the same cassette and just replaced it after about 2200 miles - had put on 2 chains in that time, although it should have prob been 3. Got 1,000 miles out of the 1st chain - Shimano HG53 - which actually when I checked it later on had no wear just changed it as a pre-caution. Next chain was a SRAM PG59 and it was wearing by 900 miles and should have been changed, left it on too long and ended up having to replace my middle chain-ring 'cause of it. Running an LX cassette and chain right now, will see how long they last.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I get about 3,000 miles before my drive train starts to slip in the middle ring. By then I need to replace the chain, cassette and rings (PC59 chain, LX rings and cassette). After I did this last time I thought that I should keep an eye on the chain and replace it when the rohloff chain checker said it was time to do so. I reached this after point after only 600 miles but decided that it was better economy to ride the bike until it started to slip and then replace the lot instead of replacing the chain every 600 miles.

Buying a new crankset (the ones just below the Deore level) and then using its steel rings on my LX cranks is the cheapest way to get new rings (around $35). I can also sell the new cranks to offset the cost even more. I sold the last one for about $20, so new rings cost me $15.

Wombat