Beemer2
    Dec 2005

Cassette chain guard

Here's a simple one for all of you experienced builders. I just replaced the wheels, hubs, and added BB7 brakes to my new Gary Fisher Marline and I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to reuse the plastic chain guard on the rear wheel, behind the cassette. I ended up assembling everything less the guard and am using it. Does anyone know where to get these, do they come in sizes, is everyone just leaving them off? Thanks for any answers.

mtbr member
    If the hi/low screws are adjusted properly you shouldn't need the spoke guard. However they are available at most LBS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer2
    Here's a simple one for all of you experienced builders. I just replaced the wheels, hubs, and added BB7 brakes to my new Gary Fisher Marline and I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to reuse the plastic chain guard on the rear wheel, behind the cassette. I ended up assembling everything less the guard and am using it. Does anyone know where to get these, do they come in sizes, is everyone just leaving them off? Thanks for any answers.

Beemer2
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    If the hi/low screws are adjusted properly you shouldn't need the spoke guard. However they are available at most LBS.
    I don't really think it will be a problem, I installed a new XT derailleur and have it set very close, it is smooth. I just thought "an ounce of prevention" and I asked two local dealers and you'd have thought I asked them for sex.

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    Take a chance at hitting a few spokes with the D. It's worse than reflectors on your frame and pedals to have those protectors behind the cassette (Unless you like the newbie look). Years ago, I hated that thing so much that I tried cutting it off without removing the cassette. Put a box cutter right into my knee and almost had to get stitches. Man I hate those things!
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
    Take a chance at hitting a few spokes with the D. It's worse than reflectors on your frame and pedals to have those protectors behind the cassette (Unless you like the newbie look). Years ago, I hated that thing so much that I tried cutting it off without removing the cassette. Put a box cutter right into my knee and almost had to get stitches. Man I hate those things!

Holy S*&t. That is good reason to hate those things. I hate it when that happens. My friend just had one of those PUT ON his bike. He was "ripping" along and managed to throw the chain into his spokes and ripped a couple out. So the LBS put one on. He managed to break the thing so it was rattling around behind the cassette. He took a pair of tin snips and cut it off. He hates those things as much as you do ( I suppose).

To answer the original question: Yes, the come in few different sizes. Mostly to accomodate roadie and mountain cassettes. Local bike shops have them and if they don't, they must have some "OLD" wheels lying around from the K-mart/Costco bike rebuilds lying around. Have them take one of those off for you.

Hope that helps. Aloha,
    g