Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,124

    New question here. Cassette carrier dimensions

    Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me with dimensions of the cassette carrier (shimano), the width and the od of the splines and between the splines? Thanks!

    _MK
    .
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    351
    Huh?

    Way Too much work.
    I think all you need to know is the following two facts:

    Shimano = slop & a prematurely worn out freehub body.
    SRAM = perfection & a long lasting freehub body.

  3. #3
    mechmann_mtb
    Guest
    i disagree with the previous post in that a properly spaced and tightened cassete is not going to cause any damage.

    HOWEVER...

    the new SRAM cassette with the red spider is pretty trick looking.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    351
    Disagree all you want...then perform the following test:

    Take a new Shimano compatible cassette hub off the shelf.

    Grab a brand new Shimano XT or XTR cassette (just the carrier part with the cogs attached).Slide it down over the hubs cassette body. Now grip it with your hand & move it in a parallel orbital rotation. Notice the play? Ridiculous huh?

    Now do the same test with an SRAM cassette. Slide it down over that Shimano comapatible cassette body & try to give it the same parallel orbital rotation. Where did the play go?

    Choose & spend your hard earned dollars wisely.

  5. #5
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,124
    I don't care to know your cassette preferences. I would like to learn the dimensions of the hub so that I can machine myself some spacers for a single speed conversion.

    _MK
    .
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

  6. #6
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,377
    So you want the measurements of a Shimano freehub body, or a Shimano cassette carrier?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  7. #7
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    So you want the measurements of a Shimano freehub body, or a Shimano cassette carrier?
    The piece of the hub onto which you slide the cassette, King calls it drive shell, but in their terms it includes the engagement teeth and a bearing. I assumed it is called a cassette carrier.

    _MK
    .
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

  8. #8
    meh....
    Reputation: Monte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,590
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    The piece of the hub onto which you slide the cassette, King calls it drive shell, but in their terms it includes the engagement teeth and a bearing. I assumed it is called a cassette carrier.

    _MK
    Here's the ID of a spacer from a King SS hub, 34.75mm, or 1.368"

    Monte

  9. #9
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    Here's the ID of a spacer from a King SS hub, 34.75mm, or 1.368"

    Monte
    Thanks.

    _MK
    .
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

  10. #10
    meh....
    Reputation: Monte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,590

    Welcome....

    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Thanks.

    _MK
    Monte

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    33
    Bringing this thread back from the dead because it was the only one I found to deal with this issue. I found some tubing from which I could cut spacers, so that's all gravy, BUT...the OP's question is more detailed, and I too would like the answer.

    Where can I find engineering drawings of a shimano-compatible freehub body? If for example, I wanted to have cogs made, or spacers that fit the splines.
    Thanks!

  12. #12
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    Disagree all you want...then perform the following test:

    Take a new Shimano compatible cassette hub off the shelf.

    Grab a brand new Shimano XT or XTR cassette (just the carrier part with the cogs attached).Slide it down over the hubs cassette body. Now grip it with your hand & move it in a parallel orbital rotation. Notice the play? Ridiculous huh?

    Now do the same test with an SRAM cassette. Slide it down over that Shimano comapatible cassette body & try to give it the same parallel orbital rotation. Where did the play go?

    Choose & spend your hard earned dollars wisely.

    perfection?
    my last sram990 had a burr on the third cog so it wouldnt even go on the freehub, after filing it finally went on , then 4 rides later the 2 largest cogs were bent so badly that the chain wouldnt stay on them. they warrantied it but I wouldnt say perfection

    no play on my I9 hubs, although the Sram aluminum spider is easier on the freehub body than a steel carrier

  13. #13
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    why not go to a lbs and pick up a old one ?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    33
    mostly because I assume there's a reference diagram, "standard" as this is...

    and secondly, because I don't want to be plagued by cumulative error, of the original machining, of damages/distortions from use, my measurements, and then the machining I have done based on said measurements.

    It would be better to have an original spec, ideally from Shimano (who don't reply to e-mails)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •