mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea! cassette for best sprinting capability/aluminum?

Hi. I'm looking to buy the Mavic Crossride UB 26" Wheelset 2013 for my 1998 Cannondale fully rigid. Also buying new cassette 8 gears. Old cassette has 7 gears. The crank has 3 chainrings which i believe i'm keeping for now (didn't count # of teeth on each chainring).

What # of teeth/gearing on cassette would give me the best sprinting capability with moderate high-end speed?

Would today's aluminum cassettes be doable or get chewed up?

I heard of cranks having 2 chainrings only now. Advantages/disadvantages?

Thank you

mtbr member
    You're not going to find a new 8spd cassette.

If you've got an aluminum freehub body you'll want something XT level or higher to minimize the gouging of the freehub body. High level cassettes rivet several cogs together on a spider carrier to more evenly spread pedalling forced onto the freehub body.

You should set the cassette gearing based on your terrain. If you're focused on speed, I'd run a tighter ratio cassette but this will require you to shift front chainrings more often when on hills. If you find that you're not using your biggest 2-3 cogs then size your next cassette appropriately and you'll have a cassette with closer gearing which lets you stay in your narrow powerband for longer.

Modern doubles have a similar range to older triples, they just are optimized around a little bit bigger of a small ring (26-28T) and a little smaller of a big ring (38-40T) but are paired with a larger cassette out back (normally an 11-36T) in order to provide the same gear spread. A front double makes for optimized front shifting and less weight; compact cranks took over the road market a few years back and now we're seeing the same thing happen with mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    You're not going to find a new 8spd cassette.
    Try here: Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @GTscoob, ty for your knowledge

@jlmuncie, ty... i also found some SRAM at https://www.pricepoint.com/Component...peeds:8\+Speed but i prefer Shimano

I dunno if my XTR M910's are 7 speed, 8 speed or 9 speed shifters... anyone know?
    (i have 7 cogs in my current cassette but they are stock & i bought my XTR's later on used from a friend. I never actually got the shifting to work with my cassette cos of depression/anxiety issues; never took it to LBS)

Update: just contacted Shimano & they confirmed it is 9 speed. I probably should've known by the nine on the 910 but had to be sure. So now i must buy a 9 speed cassette. Shimano said 8 speed cassette won't work. Someone did say i can put my 7 speed cassette on the new Mavic wheelset with a couple of spacers, but i don't wanna do that.

I'm still gonna use my old XTR M910 shifters, but out of curiosity i couldn't even find 9 speed shifters. Checked Jenson, Pricepoint & Cambria.

mtbr member
    I'd still look for NOS Ultegra or XT level cassettes depending on your gearing choices. 11-32 would be about standard for that era of gearing, for various reasons easier gearing is becoming available but you dont really need more than a 32T cog if you've got a triple and 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I'd still look for NOS Ultegra or XT level cassettes depending on your gearing choices. 11-32 would be about standard for that era of gearing, for various reasons easier gearing is becoming available but you dont really need more than a 32T cog if you've got a triple and 26" wheels.
    Ty for the 11-32 info GTscoob. Would 11-28 or 11-30 be better for low-end power/sprinting?

& does it change things if in the future i change to 2 chainrings up front or maybe even 1 chainring?

Do i need a longer chain? My current chain came with this 7-cog cassette; worked together. Geez this never ends...

mtbr member
    11-28 or 11-30 just give you a harder bailout gear. I know a few racer types who used to run 11-26/28 cassettes with short cage road derailleurs with MTB triple cranks as they had the fitness level that didnt need an easy gear to get up a long climb. Really just depends on how honest you are regarding your fitness level.

You'll only need a longer chain if you go to a cassette with a larger rear cog. Your chain should be fine until you upgrade to 9spd or 10spd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @GTscoob, tyvm. I'm understanding the gearing a bit more now. I will buy 11-28 if available (checked my current 7-cog cassette & it is 11-28)