lives to ride
    Feb 2005

Can't thread Crank Puller into Cranks

I've got a 2004 Kona Coiler, with standard cranks (Raceface Ride XC - possibly 2004, although they are OEM parts so maybe 2003?) that I am trying to remove. I have a Park CCP-4, which I believe is the correct crank puller, but I just can't thread it into the cranks straight. I've threaded it into plenty of other cranks in the past, so I'm wondering if these cranks run a different thread size?

Any help would be great.

Can you see anything wrong by looking at the threads of the tool or inside the crank arm? How crooked is it wanting to go in? And it's the same on both cranks?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    The crank puller threads are pretty neat, and the other cranks have been pulled once before (not by myself, by a bike store), and they look pretty tidy really..

It's the same on both cranks..

Dumb questions, but you did take out the crankbolts first and retracted the tip on the tool? The only other thing I can think of is that your crank arms aren't perpendicular to the threads but your eyes are telling you to try and thread it in perpendicular to the main part of the arm anyways? Maybe the threads on the arms are both buggered, but to me the chances of both equally buggered doesn't make a lot of sense...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    It must be the middle option - my eyes are out! The crank bolts are definitely out and the threaded nut is out all of the way. Normally I just kind of thread it backwards until it "seats" itself, then thread it in, just this time I'm having no luck at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I've had the same problem a couple of times...

Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    It must be the middle option - my eyes are out! The crank bolts are definitely out and the threaded nut is out all of the way. Normally I just kind of thread it backwards until it "seats" itself, then thread it in, just this time I'm having no luck at all.
    I used degreaser to clean the threads on the crank arm and the tool, then applied a glob of grease to the threads on the crank arm- the tool seems to fit into place much easier after this. Didn't work when tried without the cleaning and greasing.