mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Can't shift up on the trail, ok on the stand?

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help a novice out with a tuning issue. =)

I've been re-building my bike that sat in storage for a while (94/95 Obed), and have it in a 1x8 configuration.

I've replaced the rear derailleur with a new Acera, and replaced the cable. I have an old 8-speed index shifter for the RD, which I took down, cleaned, and lubricated during the cable swap.

My problem is thus: sitting on the stand, bike upside down, whatever, it shifts up and down without issue - smooth, and perfect. However, after about 1 minute of riding on the trail, I can only shift up (to a larger gear) if I shift down (to a smaller gear) first. That is, when I go to shift up the handle just moves freely, no click, no tension whatsoever. No amount of of pressing it will cause any change, I have to hit the other shift lever and effect a gear change down first, and then I can shift up as many gears as I like. Obviously, this making shifting before an obstacle a bit of a laughing matter. =)

Any thoughts on what might be wrong here? I'd like to tune it up tonight and resolve the problem so I can ride tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help a novice out with a tuning issue. =)

I've been re-building my bike that sat in storage for a while (94/95 Obed), and have it in a 1x8 configuration.

I've replaced the rear derailleur with a new Acera, and replaced the cable. I have an old 8-speed index shifter for the RD, which I took down, cleaned, and lubricated during the cable swap.

My problem is thus: sitting on the stand, bike upside down, whatever, it shifts up and down without issue - smooth, and perfect. However, after about 1 minute of riding on the trail, I can only shift up (to a larger gear) if I shift down (to a smaller gear) first. That is, when I go to shift up the handle just moves freely, no click, no tension whatsoever. No amount of of pressing it will cause any change, I have to hit the other shift lever and effect a gear change down first, and then I can shift up as many gears as I like. Obviously, this making shifting before an obstacle a bit of a laughing matter. =)

Any thoughts on what might be wrong here? I'd like to tune it up tonight and resolve the problem so I can ride tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance!

...Obed..drawing a blank..does it have rear suspension?
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    ...Obed..drawing a blank..does it have rear suspension?
    Sorry, Litespeed Obed, hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like you will be opening up the shifter again..
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would say something in the shifter is not working right or the cable has too much friction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    Sounds like you will be opening up the shifter again..
    Sounds like a long evening... =)

mtbr member
    No need for surgery. Just hose that shifter out using a spray degreaser, WD-40 will do in a pinch, and ratchet up and down through the gears until they start clicking smoothly. Finish with spray lube, tri-flo or something similar and ride!

Plays with tools
    JB is on the right track. It's common with Shimano shifters that have sat for a long time to have this happen. The factory grease hardens up and keeps that light springs from engaging the pawls. Running a bunch of solvent through them will often restore the shifter to 80% or so of what it was before storage. If not 8spd shifters can be had for a very reasonable price.

Did you replace the housing with the cable or just a new cable? Doing one is just a waste of time IMPO. Always do them in pairs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The problem started after replacing the cable. Have lubed, sprayed, etc. to no effect. I think the shifter's just bit the dust perhaps. (I tore down the shifter, cleaned, and lubed it during the original process.) I have the feeling that something is quite loose in there, and gets vibrated out of position. It works perfectly until I start bashing around on the trail - then it won't shift up without shifting down. (Today, it started requiring shifting down two or three gears before I could go back up =)

I doubt there's any cable friction issues, as that should present its self when shifting down (reducing tension on the cable), instead of only when shifting up (increasing tension on the cable). Inspected and lubed all housings during the replacement. Add to that the cable doesn't move at all when it won't shift (the shifter doesn't engage or move the cable, it's like all the catches have disappeared for a minute).