SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Can't remove the big ring on cranks nuts are spinning

I installed a 3rd chain ring on my saint cranks (the chain ring was slightly thinner) just to see how a large ring would help with my riding and decided to remove it and reinstall the bash. Except this time the bolts were stuck and they spun inside the nut that holds the chaining on. With my luck all four bolts did the same thing. Ive un-installed chain rings before but this is a first. It seemed that the chain ring bolts are alloy and the nuts are steel. I have tried holding the nut with a screwdriver on the little grove in the back but no luck.

Any Ideas? Thanks

One of these works better than a screwdriver http://parktool.com/products/detail....=26&item=CNW-2
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Meh.
    That's what I was going to suggest. I have a Shimano one that's been banging around my parts box for years.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yep.. the crankbolt tool is what you need...

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks everyone you guys are the best!

I didn't realize that there was a tool for it

caffeine dependent
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    Thanks everyone you guys are the best!

I didn't realize that there was a tool for it
    Dude, it's my favorite tool: the TL-FC20. I carry one in my Camelbak just so I can refer to it by name. Here's an example of the conversation:

Buddy: "Crap, my chainring is loose. Looks like one of the bolts loosened up!!!"
    Me: "No sweat. Here, use my TL-FC20."

Photo from www.sheldonbrown.com:

Last edited by bstiff; 04-09-2007 at 12:04 PM.

...idios...
    I'd also like to take my hat off to the TL-FC20 for being a nifty little tool. The blunt edge of a dinner knife serves (pardon the pun) as a great 'ghetto' alternative, assuming the bolt itself doesn't thread flush with the peg.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    The tool definitely gives you a better chance but they can still be tough to grab. I've had to awkwardly clamp the tool to the nut with vice grips so it doesn't slip. This is because I leave the chainring bolts in for years until they seize up.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by POG
    The tool definitely gives you a better chance but they can still be tough to grab. I've had to awkwardly clamp the tool to the nut with vice grips so it doesn't slip. This is because I leave the chainring bolts in for years until they seize up.
    Try blue Loctite for to keep it glued together without the parts seizing up.

mtbr member
    Your bolts could be too long, if the chainring is smaller than the bash guard that I assume was on there the bolts might be spec'd for that and not a thinner ring. Thus despite how tight you get the bolts it will not properly tighten up.

I have found if you can use your thumb or another finger to hold the nut side of the bolt up to the back of the 2nd ring you should be able to tighten the bolt until it gets tight enough where you don't need anything to hold it. It should just grip up to the back of the 2nd chain-ring. If the bolts are too long you can get a set of washers to add some thickness but that is probably the quickest cheapest solution, so you don't have to spend more money on another specialized tool that you only need to tighten 4 bolts....

Thats my opinion and what I would do.
    Willis