mtbr member

Can't believe it

Toady my buddy and I went out to ride and take some action shots, well as we were bombing down this hill, I heard a loud crash and I thought my buddies camera had fallen out of his backpack, but it ended up being him who fell. His right crank arm off of his cannondale prophet had split completely off from his bike. I had never seen anything like it before. I could not believe it. We both just stared at his bike for awhile. He has only had the bike for 2 months. All I can say is "that sucks."
    Ballzonya!

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Did the crank arm break, did it fall off the spindle, or did the spindle shear off?

Sounds like a good excuse for a crank upgrade to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    what crank was on the bike?

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I've only seen/had this happen when the cranks weren't firmly attached, and having been loose this had caused them to round on the inside.
    Mine came loose while I was riding along straight bitumen a few years ago, so didn't cause an accident.

mtbr member
    The crank arma actually broke in half. I believe it was an FSA crank. I don't know how good those are, but I ain't gonna buy one now.
    Ballzonya!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ouch

The good news is he was uninjured and able to stare at his bike afterwards. Time for warranty and new cranks. Inform Cannondale and if they have similar complaints may change to a new model of crank on next years model bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There probably was a small crack in the crank prior to breaking, either from a manufacturing defect or a previous crash. Bike shops won't believe in "I was just riding along when the crank snapped."

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    There probably was a small crack in the crank prior to breaking, either from a manufacturing defect or a previous crash. Bike shops won't believe in "I was just riding along when the crank snapped."

yeah but at the same time the bike shop reaction will be the same as our. Crank arms do not just break so something about was clearly wrong. It should be warranty replaced because something had to be wrong in manufacturing for that to happen.