mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Cannondale SI or SISL2 Crankset on 73mm BSA Bike

I was wondering if anyone had some practical experience fitting a Cannondale SI or SISL2 to a 73mm BSA bike. How do I figure out what length spindle I'll need with a new BSA30 BB. This will be going on an Ibis Ripley LS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bumping this thread as I'm in the same situation. Want to fit a Cannondale Si crank arm on an Ibis Mojo 3 with a 73 mm BSA BB shell. Any recommendations as regards axle length and bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Also in this same boat. Should this bb work? https://wheelsmfg.com/threaded-to-30...-bb-black.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Spindle length will depend on the offset of the chainring and/or spider combo and desired chainline. You'll want about 132 mm to have the most direct mount chainring options. This yields a typical ~170 mm Q-factor and 48 mm chainline with common chainrings.

122 mm spindles are readily available now to achieve much better Q-factor of ~160 mm but then you'll have to use a spider in order to get a functional chainline in most cases.

Our choices would be so much better if all these 30 mm spindle cranks used the same spline pattern for chainrings/spiders! It's a ridiculous p!ssing match at the moment. Hopefully FSA using Hollowgram spline pattern will result in more options soon.

mtbr member
    agree with this.

ive been messing with cinch spindles and hollowgram SI cranks.

whereas with Next SL you will generally want an axle the same length roughly as your nominal dropout spacing (ignoring the extra few mm for the socket in the dropout - ie a 135mm hub is now 142mm but the axle would be 134mm) hollowgram SI have more offset in the arm itself, so you use a narrower axle but get the same q factor, as long as there is chainstay clearance for the ring.

Turbines are more offset than the hollowgram si in the arm, but we are talking a couple of mm.

Cannondale SI or SISL2 Crankset on 73mm BSA Bike-25067533408_e0049fcc46_z.jpg

Cannondale SI or SISL2 Crankset on 73mm BSA Bike-38939180771_f7f10d8150_z.jpg

where the dm ring seat is on all 3 is very similar when measured against the spline seat for the axle, but Hollowgram obviously have a female lockring for the rings or spider, that takes up more space on the axle than the male lockring on a cinch. its ~3mm deep so you will need this as space between the bearing and the ring.

Cannondale SI or SISL2 Crankset on 73mm BSA Bike-24074183727_458a9bf727_z.jpg

Cannondale SI or SISL2 Crankset on 73mm BSA Bike-38052745825_d6a390d496_z.jpg

you can run some rings flipped on hollowgram si but it isnt as easy as on a cinch. the arms have a fairly pronounced section next to the spline interface that is parallel to the centre line of the bike - this means some rings, such as canondale's own DM ring - will not sit on the crank flat. the exception that i have found is absolute black. the way these are machined, there is enough clearance for it to work flipped. this can then be used in conjunction with the axle length to get the ring on a good chainline with optimal q factor.

there are 'boost' offset rings for cinch that are less offset than the 'normal' ones that when flipped could work well, but i'm not sure if there are any available yet for Hollowgram.

anyway, thats all the messing i have done so far!