mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cannondale Flash 29er shifting issues

I bought a Cannondale Flash 29er last year and this problem has occurred about 4-5 times. I will be riding, and then try to shift into the lowest gear at the hub and the deraileur throws the chain off the cassette and it wraps around the hub and gets stuck there. It happened two nights ago and this time it is really on there. I had the bike at the LBS about two weeks ago, they set everything up after it happened the previous time and my old X9 or X10 deraileur was chewed up in the process of this happening.

Since it was fixed about two weeks ago, I have not taken it on any trails, just easy riding around town to get some exercise. Are cannondales that fragile? I seriously have no idea what is causing this to happen but i am getting frustrated. Im guessing my deraileur limits were not set properly by the LBS or do they need to be set every day or something? This bike really kind of sucks; i bet the next brand they sell at walmart is more durable.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    it's not the "bike" it's the adjustments and alignments...

#1 if it's going beyond the big gear into the cassette the low "L" screw is adjusted wrong.. this is something you can do easily enough yourself with a philips screw driver. just shift to the large gear, then turn the screw in till it's hitting the stop on the derailleur ,.. then give a 1/4 turn more.. test and make sure you can still shift up to the gear but not push beyond... adjust as needed...

#2 adjust the "B" screw in the back of the derailleur (read manual as it used to be 6mm tooth of jockey wheel to tooth of cassette but some newer drive trains need more)

#3 have the shop use a derailleur hanger and align the hanger which is possibly tweaked a tad.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I know its not the bike, it's just a bit frustrating seeing as whenever i take the bike on a trail I tend to break something on it. This issue with the deraileur has happened 4 times since i've owned the bike for a year. Two times the X9 had to be replaced because the chain chewed up the cogs real bad. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. The amount of times it has happened leads me to think that its a design issue with the bike. I guess i just run over too much crap and it knocks the hanger loose.

Happy Trails

Cannondale Flash 29er shifting issues

My Flash shifts perfectly. In my opinion, your beef is with the shop that set the bike up, not Cannondale. I agree, though, this would make me crazy. You need a new bike shop, is what I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't know... I bought it in Columbia, MD and it happened when they set it up. I take it to one in Frederick now as its closer and it happened when they set it up too. Its strange. You buy a mountain bike because they're supposed to be durable but any little thing that hits the deraileur causes the hanger to bend, and then when you try to shift down to the lowest gear it throws the chain off the cassette and gets stuck in the hub and messes up your spokes and deraileur. do all newer mtn bikes have that hanger that is designed to break away to save the frame / deraileur?

I used to ride an old Cannondale F500 hardtail and never had any issues like this. And that bike was $800, not $2000.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    My Flash shifts perfectly. In my opinion, your beef is with the shop that set the bike up, not Cannondale. I agree, though, this would make me crazy. You need a new bike shop, is what I think.
    I kinda agree, .. it's probably the shop not adjusting/checking things like the hanger alignment.. but then it could be he's a bit aggressive rider

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bill View Post
    I don't know... I bought it in Columbia, MD and it happened when they set it up. I take it to one in Frederick now as its closer and it happened when they set it up too. Its strange. You buy a mountain bike because they're supposed to be durable but any little thing that hits the deraileur causes the hanger to bend, and then when you try to shift down to the lowest gear it throws the chain off the cassette and gets stuck in the hub and messes up your spokes and deraileur. do all newer mtn bikes have that hanger that is designed to break away to save the frame / deraileur?

I used to ride an old Cannondale F500 hardtail and never had any issues like this. And that bike was $800, not $2000.
    all Alum and carbon fiber frames have the break away hangers.. Steel usually doesn't.. the soft hangers are designed to save the frame.. steel hangers are usually stronger than the derailleur is so no need for the break away hanger
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/