Help From The Big Guy

Candy SL - Shims?

Fore me, getting clipped into the Candy pedals, is lots more difficult than getting out of them.

I'd read or heard somewhere than shimming the pedals will make entry much easier.

Anyone had any experience shimmng these pedals?

mtbr member
    Yup. Mine are shimmed. It helps depending on the shoe.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    The shims are intended to be used if the shoe tread is interfering with cleat engagement. It could be possible that you're having to overcome the tread in order to get into the cleat.

If the pedals are new, then I can assume the cleats are new, too. The cleats will wear in pretty quick and make the whole system easier to use. Unfortunately, this means that the cleats will need to be replaced sooner than the average cleat, but you can get some good mileage out of them.

Try shimming them. It will solve your problem if your problem is tread interference. Otherwise, just ride them for a while and wear the cleats down a little.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by thevalvesource
    Fore me, getting clipped into the Candy pedals, is lots more difficult than getting out of them.

I'd read or heard somewhere than shimming the pedals will make entry much easier.

Anyone had any experience shimmng these pedals?
    Shim the pedals? No, the shim the cleats. I usually use a shim with any CB pedal. It is the better solution rather than trimming the shoe tread. The latter will wear down on its own and you may not need the shim when it does.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common