mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Can you use a MRP 1x guide with a 28t bling ring?

The website says that the MRP 1x guide is for 32+ teeth, but I need a 28t bling ring for my crazy climbs I do. I Know the Micro Guide they make is for the 28t ring, but don't like the look of it, and don't need/want the guard that comes with it, plus it costs more than the slick 1x guide they make. I am wondering if the 1x guide will go low enough to fit and secure a 28t bling ring on a Kona Honzo Build. Also, which mount would work with this bike, I'm thinking the seat tube low mount one.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Can't see why it wouldn't work, so long as there isn't anything about the seat tube shape or size that would prevent you just running the guide lower. No crank arm tabs or chainring bolts to interfere with running it lower, so...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It did not work on my nimble 9. I have a 28t bling ring and a 1x bb mount and the 1x will not go low enough without modification. I have about a1/4 inch gap between the chain and the guide. It is enough of a gap for the chain to get stuck if it comes off and it has.

mtbr member
    Good to know. I was considering a 30t bling ring to match my MRP 1x guide.
    Now maybe not.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I'm running their Micro Guide without the lower bash/pulley. It's essentially a 1X Guide mounted via ISCG tabs. No problems, no dropping with a 28T Bling Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    I'm running their Micro Guide without the lower bash/pulley. It's essentially a 1X Guide mounted via ISCG tabs. No problems, no dropping with a 28T Bling Ring.

Yep. I've got that setup going on now with a 30T Bling Ring. But the Micro is designed to work with those smaller rings - I assumed the other guides wouldn, but guess not.

IMO, for a plain upper guide, the e.13 XCX gives more adjustment range than the 1X guide.

I'm actually running the top guide of an XCX on my Micro guide, because I think it works better than the stock part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That Paul's chain keeper looks as if it would work nicely for a 28t bling ring on a spiderless sram crank. Looks very adjustable and easy to mount on the seat tube. It doesn't look like you'd have any problems on the 2013 Honzo frame getting the mount where you would need it and since there's no spider on the crank, you should be able to get the guide low enough for a 28t ring, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    That Paul's chain keeper looks as if it would work nicely for a 28t bling ring on a spiderless sram crank. Looks very adjustable and easy to mount on the seat tube. It doesn't look like you'd have any problems on the 2013 Honzo frame getting the mount where you would need it and since there's no spider on the crank, you should be able to get the guide low enough for a 28t ring, right?
    Should work. Even if it's mounted on the bent/angled tube area, you can then rotate the angle the guide sits, much more so than the other guides mentioned here.