mtbr member

Can you use 1.2mm derailleur cable rather than 1.1mm derailleur cable?

I need to replace some frayed derailleur cables.

I bought the Jagwire Ripcord derailleur cable/housing sets which I believe comes with 1.1mm cable. I can only find Shimano 1.2mm housings locally, can they be used in Jagwire housing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It shouldn't make a significant difference either way.

Note: on some levers there's a groove around the arc over which the cable winds. If the wire is too wide to drop smoothly into the grove, that would be significant, since it would change the effective diameter and therfore the pull ratio of the lever.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

It's about showing up.

In a recent post, "Yes."

Just to pass this along and it is a synopsis:

A poster spoke of poor shifting in the rear despite new cable an housings. apparently despite careful tuning upon installation gears would skip and slip. In the end he found that it was using a 1.2 in stead of a 1.1 and that this was critical in the actual shifting mechanism. In the end he felt the solution of returning to a 1.1 took care of the problem.

Aha!
    I found the thread:

shift skips a gear (not the usual ghost shift or adjustment problem)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and the link. I grabbed some mystery diameter derailleur cable from the LBS, it was Bontrager brand but they couldn't find a diameter listed on the box.

It seems to fit within the housings well, but found that I was having some skipping issues in certain gears when I went riding this weekend. I will re-adjust the derailleur, if that doesn't work I'll grab some 1.1mm cable, hopefully that does the trick.