mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Can you replace just the cogwheel in a derailleur?

I smashed my derailleur on a boulder. It snapped my chain and bent the cog so now I cannot hit my highest gears and it skips in the middle. Is it possible to replace just this cogwheel? Its sram.

Off the back...
    If you're talking about the pulley wheels in the derailleur, then yes. The Shimano ones are pretty easy to find, but I'm not sure about SRAM. I recently replaced a broken SRAM pulley with a Shimano unit. If you take off the bushing cover [looks like a metal disc], you can remove the cylinder in the middle that acts like an axle for the pulley. Then it will fit the SRAM derailleur cage bolts.

If that's not what you're looking for, I'm sorry. I'm having a hard time comprehending posts today.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SickS
    I smashed my derailleur on a boulder. It snapped my chain and bent the cog so now I cannot hit my highest gears and it skips in the middle. Is it possible to replace just this cogwheel? Its sram.
    Do you mean derailleur pulley? Hard to bend a plastic pulley. More likely you bent the derailleur hanger on the frame in addition to any damage to the RD.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks pinkrobe that's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

and shiggy, I definitely bent the plastic pully, I will check the hanger now too. The hit came from boulder directly beneath me so I am hoping it just snuck iin snapped my chain right on the pulley and only did damage there.

Appreciate both of your responses.

mtbr member
    theres a little retaining clip on the back side of the pulley, get that off then its a 3mm hex