mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Can you put road bike cranks on a mountain bike?

If so, would I need to buy a new road derailleur? Anything else that I'd need to be worried about?

The background is that I have a 2006 Stumpy HT that I'm using to commute to work, and would like to take advantage of the larger chainrings on road bikes.

Thanks!

EDIT - On second thought, given that there may be clearance issues, maybe I'll just get a 48t chainring and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You would need to have a 68mm BB shell width too.....much easier to mod some mtb cranks.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    You would need to have a 68mm BB shell width too.....much easier to mod some mtb cranks.
    Not necessarily, You can use road on a mtb bottom bracket as long as the crank interface matches, and the spindle length is correct.

If you're looking to build a 2x9 or 1x9 mtn bike and have a nice set of road cranks handy, along with a serviceable BB, no reason not to go that route. Typically you'll be limited as to the smallest ring available because of the larger BCD, and depending on the chainrings you use might have to use a road FD, or might find that your FD braze-on is to low, other than that no serious problems.

There are an infinite number of serviceable mix n match component possibilities, and there's nothing inherently wrong as long as you track the issues of compatibility.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.