mtbr member
    Oct 2012

can you help with component selection / newbie

Hey guys Im a newbie to mtb and although very mechanical I dont know to much about mtb stuff.
    I bought two bikes, both 07 models one is a yeti asr the other a yeti 575.

my intention is the asr will be the knock around bike and the 575 is going to be a little more show, I am in the process of re doing the frame and so on where as the asr will just get components added to ride.

I don't want to argue sram or shimano, I have come to a conclusion that both have their place and Im looking for a deal, well I think I found it on some parts needed and bought them.

My intention is keep both bikes basically the same so I can use parts from one to the other and here is a list of stuff I bought.

At this point I dont care if they are 3x9 or 3x10 but again both bikes will be the same so with my list I basically want to know if this stuff may match up?

I currently have these components bought in a lot, some parts almost new, others show some use.

1- shimano xtr crank 172.5mm / 24-32-44- sprockets need replaced( 32/44)
    2- shimano xt crank 175mm / 22-32-44-near new
    3- 1 set new xt sprockets 22-32-44
    4- xt front derailleur model m781
    5- xt rear derailleur model m780
    6- chris king bb says mtn on it.
    7- chris king headset, no thread type.
    8- shimano xtr bb
    9- shimano 180mm rotors
    10- 1 set of shimano rapidfire sl shifter/brake lever combo, model m750
    11- easton monkey lite with specialized stem
    12- easton monkeylite bars with sram rocket 3x9 shifters, juicy 3 brakes and calipers.
    13- rhyno lite wheels with shimano xt hubs and kenda tires/skewers.

basically I want to know if the rapid fire shifter/brake combo will work with deraillures and if the gear ratio on the cranks I have is what is used in a 3x9 set up also if the rapid fire set up looks like a cable brake set up, should I use those or go another way and sell them since they are new ?
    I have just under 300 for this stuff, looks good and usable Im just trying to match everything up and have done some searching but there is so much info im getting confused.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can you help with component selection / newbie-cranksbbbearings.jpg  

can you help with component selection / newbie-shimanoxtm750shifterbrake.jpg  

can you help with component selection / newbie-monkeylitebars.jpg  

can you help with component selection / newbie-rynolitewheelsxthubs.jpg  

can you help with component selection / newbie-xtderuaillersrotors.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nothing like making it complicated for yourself eh?

The Sram shifters will not work with your Shimano rear der.

The rapid fire shift/brake levers will work with your shimano deraileurs, but they are for v-brakes.

It appears those wheels will work with disc or v-brakes, but if you really want to keep the bikes the same you will need to decide which way you want to go.

Those cranksets are perfect for 3x9 setups. I would go with Blackspire rings for the XTR (great crankset BTW)

Personally I would ditch the shift/brake levers, and the SRAM shifters, and pick up some Shimano shifters (2 sets), another pair of shimano deraileurs, another wheelset, and another set of disc brakes. Then you just need a few smaller items to complete both builds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the reply.
    So you are correct the wheels are for either v brakes or disc.

If I sell the rapid fire shifters plus the sram shifters do you have recommendations on which shimano to buy?
    Im going to go a nicer set of wheels for my 575, im thinking easton ea70 wheelset.

Also for brakes, mechanical or hydraulic disc in your opinion ?

I was told those sram "rocket" shifters should work with those derailleurs, or were you saying sell since they dont work that well?
    Thanks again man , appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Shimano SLX level seems to be a good bang for your buck, but if you are shopping used, there are always good deals to be found on XT or even XTR. Like the deal you already found on those parts.
    Front shifters will generally work with any front der, but the rear shifter needs to match the rear der., so the SRAM rear shifter will not work with the Shimano rear der. You could keep the SRAM stuff, and just pick up some SRAM derailleurs. Nothing wrong with that, its just that you mentioned you wanted to keep the bikes the same for interchangeability.

There are plenty of great options for wheels, and generally you get what you pay for with wheels. I personally like to invest as much as I can afford into the wheelset, then save a little money on some of the other components. Easton makes a good wheel, but I suggest you do plenty of research on this subject before you pull the trigger. There are plenty of others to consider.

It is better to go with good mechanical brakes over cheap hydro brakes. Can't go wrong with BB7's, but if you can afford it, XT hydros are an amazing brake for the money.

Plays with tools
    Those derailures are 10 spd by the way.