mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Can an XTR 3x9 front derailleur be used in with a new 2x10 XT setup

So I have a year old front XTR derailleur and shifter. My GF just got a 2x10 setup using SLX and XT, is there a way to still use the front XTR shifter and derailleur on her new setup. Boh setups are similar in mounting and that won't be a problem. Tanks for any help.

mtbr member
    yea, just set the limit screw

its better to shift from 2nd to 3rd, opposed to 1 to 2, cuz theyll be tension on the cable already

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It will work but not perfectly, for example I run into a problem on my fatbike, basically you can not lower the derailleur to the require "2MM gap" (with the biggest chainring) because the bottom part of the cage touches the chainstay, is actually not that big of a deal and the bike shifts fine, but been kind of a bike geek is bothersome to know is there..Can an XTR 3x9 front derailleur be used in with a new 2x10 XT setup-img_4515-m.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks. I guess I'll put it on and play with it. Nothing better than tinkering.

mtbr member
    Using a 3X derailleur can work without issue, but you really should not lower it on the frame. The derailleur has indentations as such to push/pull the chain for each of the 3 rings, lowering it will potentially cause mediocre shifting. It may look a bit odd with the derailleur high, but in my case, shifting is spot on. Also, when I lowered mine for a test, I was getting rubbing on the outside cage where the indentation is to lower from middle to granny gear.