mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Can i run a 2x10 front mech with a 3x9 shifter?

I own an X9 3x9 shifter. I am going to buy a new frame... The frame is only compatible with E type mechs.

The only ones i can find selling online are 2x10

Can i use my 3x9 shifter with a 2x10 mech? I understand that i will only use 2 rings on my crankset and i dont mind that.

Thanks, fredb

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Don't see why not.
    Setup the granny in the normal shifter selection. The large ring location will be set by your cable adjustment and limit screw. The granny will be set by your limit screw. The shifter is almost not doing anything in a 2 ring setup.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    no,.. but maybe yes.... LOL the 9 speed shifter has a longer throw.. meaning it moves farther than a 10 speed does for a shift...

but,.. with just a 2 speed setup, I believe,(thou not 100%) you can set the shifter proper to the larger gear... bring that stop down,.. then drop the chain down to the grannie and adj that stop screw.. you'll probably find that the cable in grannie is loose and wagging in the wind on the grannie to make it all work, but really, who cares...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/