Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    209

    Can I remove another link? pics inside.

    Hey guys im adjusting my bike since im done with the build its a 1x9. what you see is the x9 short cage derrailleur at the biggest and smallest gear. Im new to this and already removed 2-3 links. but im not sure i feel like i can still take off another 2 or at least one. Can i get some input from the pros ? thanks!!





  2. #2
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,176
    great pics...
    You look to be just about right.

    You can see for sure if you bypass the derailleur and wrap the chain around the largest cog and ring and have 1 full link (two pins)+ of overlap.
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24
    Hey guys im adjusting my bike since im done with the build its a 1x9. what you see is the x9 short cage derrailleur at the biggest and smallest gear. Im new to this and already removed 2-3 links. but im not sure i feel like i can still take off another 2 or at least one. Can i get some input from the pros ? thanks!!




    If anything, it is too short. Need to make sure it does not rip the RD off when the suspension compresses fully.

    Deflate your shock and cycle the suspension with the chain on the big cog.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,661

    What Shiggy said....

    if were a hard tail I'd say it was fine. But with the derailleur that extended on the big cog on an FS you'll want to check it. That is likely a bit on the short side.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  5. #5
    I should be studying...
    Reputation: frank daleview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    816
    I'll second this, when I set up a chain on my full susp. bikes, I let all of the air out of the rear shock, compress the suspension all the way and then make sure I have enough for the largest combo without ripping the RD off.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    209
    ill def give it a try thanks guys.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: saxen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    390
    you need to add 2 links back in, maybe more, but 2 should do it- you dont want pull like that on the RD.

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,279
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen
    you need to add 2 links back in, maybe more, but 2 should do it- you dont want pull like that on the RD.
    If it were a hardtail, there is nothing at all wrong with pulling the RD that tight. Nothing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    That looks like as short as possible without tugging the derailleur into the rear wheel - don't ask how I know

    Better check how it is with the shock's air removed and bottomed.

  10. #10
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,930
    Looks maxed to me too. I'm a weight weenie, but this is not ok....put some links back on!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  11. #11
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,128
    with your single pivot rear suspension your chain growth will be pretty minimal but regardless I would check to make sure. I don;t know why you would want it any shorter.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    209
    well i was looking at park tools site. and they said as long as you have a bend in both cogs your good. its no where near as stretched by comparison to the site. also its 3.5 travel in the back . I only took out 3 links to begin with so I dont think id have to add or i would have a full chain length. i read that most people take out a link or 2 when going 1x9 i dunno. would it be good to even add link i thoguht i would have to buy a new chain which would be fine too.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    209
    ok heres the pic fully compressed shock i actually adjusted the derailleur in the first pic to have the cog further away from the cassette.

    before adjustment

    overall view compressed.


    shifts fine. so i guess ill have to take it out to the trail. if something goes wrong i guess its a lesson learned, but at least i didnt pay to have it break. and i could live with that.

  14. #14
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24
    ok heres the pic fully compressed shock i actually adjusted the derailleur in the first pic to have the cog further away from the cassette.

    before adjustment

    overall view compressed.


    shifts fine. so i guess ill have to take it out to the trail. if something goes wrong i guess its a lesson learned, but at least i didnt pay to have it break. and i could live with that.
    Looks OK. The only danger would be if your tried the shift onto or off of the big cog when the suspension is fully compressed.

    FYI the cogs are in the cassette. The RD uses pulleys.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    209
    hehe thanks for the correction shiggy!! lol

  16. #16
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,710
    If it was my build, I'd add another link in for piece of mind.

    But it looks ok.

  17. #17
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,176
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Looks OK. The only danger would be if your tried the shift onto or off of the big cog when the suspension is fully compressed.

    FYI the cogs are in the cassette. The RD uses pulleys.
    Agreed...

    Oh, and yes, they are technically 'pulleys', but if you call them "jockey wheels" you'll impress all the ladies with your superb bicycle nomenclature
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

  18. #18
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,279
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Agreed...

    Oh, and yes, they are technically 'pulleys', but if you call them "jockey wheels" you'll impress all the ladies with your superb bicycle nomenclature
    Well, the top pulley is the jockey. The bottom the idler pulley.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  19. #19
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,176
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Well, the top pulley is the jockey. The bottom the idler pulley.
    I think it should be called the "highdelller-pulley"
    That's sure to score w/ the ladies - don't ya think?
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •