mtbr member
    Apr 2008

can i just add a big ring to my bike?

Sorry if this sounds utterly retarded... but i was wondering if i could just bolt on a big ring in place of my rock guard thats on my front cogs (i dont know all the proper terms for this stuff so im gonna keep it layman lol)

i have an 08 Kona CoilAir and it comes with a RockGuard/36/24 and b/b: FSA MegaExo

this is my only bike and i am going to use it to do extended street riding and i find myself topped out on the 36 rather quickly.

my FD and shifters all can handle a 3rd ring, but i dont know if i can just somehow bolt a 3rd cog on... or do i need to change the whole "thing" up there...

any help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Probably yes, with conditions. On most cranks the bash gaurd takes the place of the outer chainring, so nothing should prevent replacing the BG with a chainring of your choice.

Here are some of the conditions. First and foremost, your chain has to be long enough for the larger chainring. Second the RD has to have enough capacity to accomodate both the big(er)/big and small/small combinations. Third you might have to move the FD higher to clear the larger ring diameter.

There might be specific contra-indications specific to your crank, but in general you should be OK, except that I'll bet your chain will need replacing.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i already reaplced my chain and i remember having to take off two links from the replacements full length to match the "stock" chain length.

i still have those two links so i think i should be fine there... i also beleive my RD is the long cage LX so i should be okay as well, but ill double check.

the only thing im really unsure about is the specifics of taking the bashguard off, and putting on a new ring, and finding this ring. are the bolt patterns standard from company to company??

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer0
    i already reaplced my chain and i remember having to take off two links from the replacements full length to match the "stock" chain length.

i still have those two links so i think i should be fine there...

are the bolt patterns standard from company to company??
    Sorry- you're probably SOL on the chain front. Modern chains can be cut, but you cannot re-splice new sections back in. You might add a section between 2 master links but it's a poor way to go. Today you have to think of your chain like a carpenter does a 2x4, you can't cut them longer.

As to the bolt pattern- yes, they are standard, but there are multiple standards. If you post the specific crank brand and model here, I'm sure someone can tell you the correct match.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i have the ones with the sram powerlink...the chain is the PC-991 Cross Step Chain. i dont know why i was under the impression i could put the other ones back in. eitherway, i have another full length one (i bought two cuz i got a good price haha).

crank arms are FSA MOTO MegaExo, and theb/b megaexo. i cant find anything else about the rings except the teeth sizes. it says FSA on them but thats it.