mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Can I go to narrow wide?

I am an outdoor education teacher and I manage a fleet of 15 2015 Specialized Rockhoppers. I have taken the front derailer off and the kids have really excelled in with a 1x drive train. Let chain break, suck, cross chaining...

The bikes are a nine speed set up and at the moment I am looking at narrow wide chain rings.

Will a narrow wide chain ring work with a nine speed chain and cassette? Some of them are speed specific but others do not mention if they are speed specific.

mtbr member
    I'm not aware of a n/w ring designed for <10s. That's not to say they won't work - the teeth are just going to be slightly narrower than ideal. And when I say slightly, I mean slightly, as in the equivalent of a month or wear.

To me the bigger thing is the fact that there's no such thing as a 9s clutch derailleur. That makes much more of a difference in terms of dropped chains.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by El'Gator View Post
    I am an outdoor education teacher and I manage a fleet of 15 2015 Specialized Rockhoppers. I have taken the front derailer off and the kids have really excelled in with a 1x drive train. Let chain break, suck, cross chaining...

The bikes are a nine speed set up and at the moment I am looking at narrow wide chain rings.

Will a narrow wide chain ring work with a nine speed chain and cassette? Some of them are speed specific but others do not mention if they are speed specific.
    I use a narrow wide on my 1x9. I think it was a raceface chainring (*Race Face Single Narrow Wide Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA). I use a 9spd chain and have no problems with noise or derailing of chain without a clutch rear derailleur. I use a n-gear jumpstop (N-Gear, Home of the Jump Stop) with a bashguard just in case but I took the jump stop off awhile ago to test something and never put it back on and haven't had any drops.
    Try this: HTFU

damned rocks...
    The inner width of a 9/10/11/12 speed chain is the same, so a 10 speed narrow/wide chainring should work just fine.
    I have clutch dirrailleurs on my setups, and sometimes I forgot to turn them on, and I only know that I had forgot to turn the clutch on its because of the noise, not once the chain droped because I forgot to turn the clutch on, believe it or not a narrow/wide chainring will do more to prevent a chain drop than a clutch dirrailleur.
    If you gonna buy them in bulk and I guessing you want something that will last, get a SRAM N/W steel chainring, they are at 4.99 on ChainReaction. The only problem is that your crank has to be 94BCD.

P.S.- I checked the bike specs and it seems that the bike have a 10speed chain from stock.
    Last edited by Aglo; 10-21-2016 at 05:43 PM.