Thread: Can I do this?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Can I do this?

I'd like to transform my Current Alivio 3 gear front chainring to a 2 cog.....can i simply unbolt my current cogs up front and replace them with say a 36-24 setup? what do i do about spacing? will my current x5 FD work?

Stock Trek Cobia.

Basically I bought some x9 shifters off of ebay, got a good deal but they are 2x10 and my current gearing is 3x9. Trying to make them work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    different cable pull/spacing between the 2x and 3x shifter. You need a 2x crank to work with that shifter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_kyle View Post
    I'd like to transform my Current Alivio 3 gear front chainring to a 2 cog.....can i simply unbolt my current cogs up front and replace them with say a 36-24 setup? what do i do about spacing? will my current x5 FD work?

Stock Trek Cobia.

Basically I bought some x9 shifters off of ebay, got a good deal but they are 2x10 and my current gearing is 3x9. Trying to make them work.
    Don't listen to the guy above me. He is bad and wrong.

You can do this just like you said if the crankset has removable rings ( some 'alivio' branded cranksests have those, some not ). It is simpler to just remove old outer and middle ring, bolt a 36 or 38T ring in the middle position and add a bash. No need to toy around with the inner. With some luck it is possible to do the conversion without taking the crank off the bike.

You can use your current FD, but some readjustment may be needed, and OFC, you have to set the limit screws on the FD in a way that will forbid shifting to the outer ring. Alternatively you can use two 'top' gears on the shifter and allow the cable to be slack in the lowest gear.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    different cable pull/spacing between the 2x and 3x shifter. You need a 2x crank to work with that shifter.
    I agree The double cranks does not have the same cable ratio as triple. You can certainly use your current shifter and FD but not with the 2x10 FD specific shifter on a conventional crankset.