mtbr member

We the people ... Can I change from Square Taper?

I have an old Spalding Blade I am still working on. I was doing it to get my road bike in good shape and save a few $$$, but now I am doing it for education.

I managed to get the crank off and the bottom bracket off. There is something wrong with the BB I think because it ticks each revolution. A couple bike shops faulted it as well.

So here I am with the BB out. I'd like to put a new one in. I would honestly like to go with a 3-ring crank this time if thats not too hard. The question is, in replaceing this square taper BB, am I obligated to get another square taper BB? or can I put a new different style one in? I don't mind getting new crankset etc.

I have attached some pics of my parts.
    The screw in thing's size is 1 3/8" (35mm?) and the shaft is 5/8" (16mm?).
    The hole width on the bike is 68mm
    Overall length of bracket including threads is 140mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dnoyeb; 07-14-2008 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Intentionally left blank since I can't delete it.
    Last edited by dnoyeb; 07-14-2008 at 08:11 AM.

The spindle length measurement should be made from end to end of the spindle, not including the threaded portions at the end (threaded ends like that personally I've never seen). If you change cranks you will likely need to change spindle length, but depends on the crank (crank and spindle length go together), and they vary with brand and model and usually you need a wider spindle for a 3 ring setup even if the crank's the same (some convert 3 ring cranks to 2 ring cranks, where you would go with a shorter spindle for correct chainline). What's your budget? Might be time to say goodbye to your square taper setup completely with a newer crank/bb. BTW, those photos are out of focus (well, your shoe was in focus but that's not what you were trying to take a picture of).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    spindle length is 119mm. Bracket has 3P stamped on it. I think that is the size.
    I went ahead and ordered a Shimano UN54 68mmX118mm. I hope that works...

Camera phone does not have good focus for close up pictures. Didnt feel like getting out the DSLR. I'm not going with 3 crank. Im only going to fix the broke stuff. Forget learning and all that. Just make it work for now and forget about it. I got a son to raise anyway and have enough projects