mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Calling the Black Sheep Flock -- Can Ewe Answer a Few Questions?

Hi!

I'm a bit confused with the array of Black Sheep models, as some appear to be very similar... There's the Stellar, Eon, and Highlight on the website that I like. Is the Eon just an upgraded variety of these models? The Luna Vista appears to be the "curviest" model. Then, there's the Noname, Stellareon, Chicago, and Yarder, which are not featured on the website. I want curves, but do some models offer additional advantages besides aesthetics -- how do you nail down the desired model??

Is the soft tail pivotless suspension similar to Moots' YBB in that there's perhaps an inch of travel and it can be locked when you don't want it? Lastly is the HACS option offered by James a better option to the Paragon sliders, or merely another way to tension the chain, and an economical alternative to the Paragons?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calling the Black Sheep Flock -- Can Ewe Answer a Few Questions?-ybb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Drdan
    Hi!

I'm a bit confused with the array of Black Sheep models, as some appear to be very similar... There's the Stellar, Eon, and Highlight on the website that I like. Is the Eon just an upgraded variety of these models? The Luna Vista appears to be the "curviest" model. Then, there's the Noname, Stellareon, Chicago, and Yarder, which are not featured on the website. I want curves, but do some models offer additional advantages besides aesthetics -- how do you nail down the desired model??

Is the soft tail pivotless suspension similar to Moots' YBB in that there's perhaps an inch of travel and it can be locked when you don't want it? Lastly is the HACS option offered by James a better option to the Paragon sliders, or merely another way to tension the chain, and an economical alternative to the Paragons?

Thanks!
    Basically Black Sheep can do whatever you want (within limits of course). My understanding is that there are no real 'standard' models. My Stelleon (sort of combination of a Stellar and Eon) evolved from discussions and emails. They send a CAD drawing which we tweaked a bit to try things out until we got to where I was happy. The best bet is to contact Todd or James - they are true custom bike makers. I wouldnt get to hung up on the names - they are guides only.

I cant comment on the soft tail as mine is a very plush 'rigid' frame. I certainly feel no need for rear suspension. I have a HACS system. Seems really good - lightweight, easy to remove the rear wheel, very clean looking - I'm glad I went for it.

Hope this helps. You really should direct your questions to Black Sheep though - they are very approachable and helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, Tricone.

I looked at as many posts and threads concerning Black Sheep Bikes as I could, and saw many really nice frames. I understand that James is really flexible to customer's wants, and like some of the innovations, such as the HACS. He's tryly an artist, and all of the Black Sheep owners were really happy with their purchases.

Thanks again!