mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Cable tension help

Hi,

I have had to re-adjust my rear derailleur and now have the following problem.

The chain skips going from 3rd largest-largest cog and it will skip again on the way down from the 6th smallest-8th smallest

I have set my limit screws and they are all fine. I have attempted to adjust the cable tension as advised to sort out everything in between. I have watched pretty much every you tube video on the subject and just cannot seem to get it right.

Can anyone explain to me in a simple format some trouble shooting on the matter i.e: skipping to largest cog- reduce cable tension etc.
    It seems whatever i do it has a adverse affect on the other side of the cassette.

Thanks in advance guys.

Plays with tools
    How old are your cables and housing and is your hanger straight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've done around 50 miles on the bike. So very new. as far as i can see it is straight, the bottom guide wheel is slightly closer to the wheel than the top guide wheel. Does that mean its bent?

Plays with tools
    The derailleur should hang straight up and down. But they can rotate a bit to match the chain coming off the crank. If you think you know what you're doing in the cable tension dept. and the limit screws are set, and your hanger is fairly straight, the only thing that's left is the communication between the shifter and the RD. I know you said it's new but I've seen new bikes come with some pretty crappy cable housing. It doesn't take much extra friction to make finding the perfect cable tension tricky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    If you think you know what you're doing in the cable tension dept. and the limit screws are set, and your hanger is fairly straight, the only thing that's left is the communication between the shifter and the RD.

I agree, assuming the things customfab mentioned are OK then it sounds like something may not be right with the cable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi guys,

Well after another 3 hours spent with it this evening i have managed to get it sorted out.
    Thanks for all of your input guys, it allowed me to eliminate a few things narrowing the problem down.

Turns out when i had a closer look at the problem with it skipping from 3rd - 1st i noticed the chain wasnt even really touching 2nd. The upper guide wheel seemed very far from the cogs. So i fiddled with the B screw(i think thats what its called?) until it was as close to the cassett as possible without grinding. Once i had done this everything seemed to fall into place in terms of the shifting reacting to the cable tension as i understand it should.

Really glad i persevered with this as I am in the alps for the summer and dont want to hand over 20 every time i need an adjustment.

Thanks again for all the input