mtbr member

Cable rub issues, not frame though...

Ok so cables rubbing on the frame, easy fix and such right. Well that isn't my problem have protectors to avoid that problem.

My problem is cable housings rubbing together on shifters/brake lever...

Never thought this could be an issue but my jagwire ripcord housings are rubbing through each other! And they are white so if I don't fix problem soon going to look like ass in a hurry. And they are only like 3 months old so definately dont want to replace after one season.

Anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix it. Standard protector just works its way sideways and rotates till its push off. Plus black on white cables looks like crap.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Ok so cables rubbing on the frame, easy fix and such right. Well that isn't my problem have protectors to avoid that problem.

My problem is cable housings rubbing together on shifters/brake lever...

Never thought this could be an issue but my jagwire ripcord housings are rubbing through each other! And they are white so if I don't fix problem soon going to look like ass in a hurry. And they are only like 3 months old so definately dont want to replace after one season.

Anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix it. Standard protector just works its way sideways and rotates till its push off. Plus black on white cables looks like crap.

sounds like you have them run too short or too long.

if everything is running good and the enter/exit from shifters and brakes are pretty straight I wouldn't rush and replace the cables thou.. just when you do think about shortening one or adding to the other to clear..

for now a easy/clean/replaceable fix is good old fashion electrical tape, comes in all kinds of colors now including white (probably have to mail order and it's like $3 a roll not a buck for 4 or 5 but hey.. still cheap fix for the issue) Wrap it neatly around the wear spots. when it gets dirty/worn just take it off, clean the sticky crap with rubbing alcohol and reapply. I use it now for the chainstay protector, and all along the frame as well as on the front side of the downtube where the tire spits all the tiny stones and dings the crap out of the frame.

hmmm just thought, Roadie handle bar tape might work too..

Oh and another good tip for ya... with the white cables keeping them clean can be a pain...

wipe them down with 90% rubbing alcohol,.. let dry them rub good with a Gun & Reel Silicone sheet. this will not only make the look kinda super clean but will also repeal dirt and rub marks.. they work really well and just every now and then rub them down again. Will clean and shine in one shot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cable rub issues, not frame though...-61z-owz2w0l._sl1000_.jpg  

Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Re: Cable rub issues, not frame though...

Never thought of that, silicone lube, awesome idea. We use it on cars (im a mechanic by trade) didn't think about it here. Thing is cables I DID per instruction and cut to match stock length (and i was very precise, within a mm) but I didn't think about the fact my shift and brake levers have been moved in toward center and rotated far from stock positions(and not stock levers/shifters). So ill figure out which ones need the housings shortened to gain some clearance.

Thnx much thought it was a jagwire problem not user error since I followed the intructions.

Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Thnx much thought it was a jagwire problem not user error since I followed the instructions.
    well that's not Jagwire, that's the original install .. if you matched the old then the old ones were wrong.. I always cut long with new housings then set all in place and move handle bars around and cycle suspension to check... don't forget also when you measure against old you need to subtract for the end caps as they are anywhere from a 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch addition depending on brand's
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/