mtbr member

cable routing on XX rear derailleur

Can anyone help me out with keeping my cable from getting into everything else? I have an XX rear derailleur. I don't know what engineer designed it. The rest is a work of art, but the cable routing is the dumbest I've ever seen. It has given me issues for over a year. The tail end of the cable either wants to get into the moving parts of the derailleur or into the cassette. I asked a SRAM rep at a race last year what he suggests and the only thing he had for me was to cut the line really short. Well maintenance on that causes me to replace cables more than I should have to. Has anyone else had this issue and can give me a better solution? Pics would help if you have them

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    not sure what the issue is..? kinda need a pic from you ?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    well, I'm at work so I can't provide a pic right now. If you're not familier with the xx rear, its hard to describe. Basically the bolts the clamps the cable in place is in a really weird position and the tail end comes out behind the derailleur pretty much right in the way of all moving parts. Most other brands have it coming out the back but outboard from the bike. I don't know if SRAM did this to give it a more "clean" appearance since you don't really see a visible tail end. But it doesn't seem very well thought out

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fast3furious View Post
    well, I'm at work so I can't provide a pic right now. If you're not familier with the xx rear, its hard to describe. Basically the bolts the clamps the cable in place is in a really weird position and the tail end comes out behind the derailleur pretty much right in the way of all moving parts. Most other brands have it coming out the back but outboard from the bike. I don't know if SRAM did this to give it a more "clean" appearance since you don't really see a visible tail end. But it doesn't seem very well thought out
    ya,.. I think I know what you are talking about as I have an X9 that they used the same setup for a short time,.... the mounting bolt for the cable is inside instead of outside the parallelogram.. I got it as a service replacement, haven't seen any other X9's like it, they all have the bolt on the outside..

yes, really the only way to keep it out of things is to cut it like under 3 inches or so. I also stopped using crimps on the end and just get some super thin glue (crazy glue) and put a drop on the end which wicks up the cable winds and keeps it from fraying but doesn't have the heavy tip bouncing around catching on things...

I'll go take a pic in a bit and show ya...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya,.. I think I know what you are talking about as I have an X9 that they used the same setup for a short time,.... the mounting bolt for the cable is inside instead of outside the parallelogram.. I got it as a service replacement, haven't seen any other X9's like it, they all have the bolt on the outside..

yes, really the only way to keep it out of things is to cut it like under 3 inches or so. I also stopped using crimps on the end and just get some super thin glue (crazy glue) and put a drop on the end which wicks up the cable winds and keeps it from fraying but doesn't have the heavy tip bouncing around catching on things...

I'll go take a pic in a bit and show ya...
    That's actually a really good idea with the glue. If I can avoid the crimp on, I can pull it through to service without cutting each time. That should make me more comfortable cutting it short without worrying that I just destroyed another cable. Thanks for the tip

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Pic...

if you look you'll see there is a little nub in the derailleur knuckle that holds the cable in place... you have to cut the end so the cable hits that nub but doesn't continue to far and get into the cog wheel.

not sure if the XX has that But I believe they do..

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    That's actually a really good idea with the glue. If I can avoid the crimp on, I can pull it through to service without cutting each time. That should make me more comfortable cutting it short without worrying that I just destroyed another cable. Thanks for the tip
    reason I started doing it just make sure it's a fairly new tube, seems after it's been open on the shelf it gets a tad thicker and doesn't absorb/wick into the cable but just sits on the surface. Needs to be super thin to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    reason I started doing it just make sure it's a fairly new tube, seems after it's been open on the shelf it gets a tad thicker and doesn't absorb/wick into the cable but just sits on the surface. Needs to be super thin to work.
    Yeah I have switched to just buying the 6-pack of tiny disposable tubes, they never last for more than one use anyway before the tip dries. Might as well throw away a tiny tube instead of a big tube

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    here's a video of the derailleur and how the cable reacts during shifting... if you get it too long it'll jam into the upper cog and cause issues, it you cut it to short it'll pop off the knuckle and jam into it when you shift next...

not the best quality as it was too dark in the garage and I had the cam's light setting for bright light/outside.... oh well, you should be able to get the gist..
    it clears up around 22 sec.. sorta
    http://ectrr.com/junkimages/SramCable/FILE0001.MOV

kinda want to see how the XX works.. take a pic when ya get a chance

mtbr member
    Update: Thank you for the tip. It worked great. Both the cable placement and the super glue idea. Everything is working great...knock on wood

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Update: Thank you for the tip. It worked great. Both the cable placement and the super glue idea. Everything is working great...knock on wood
    cool.. glad it worked for ya!!