Five is right out
    Sep 2006

Cable routing - too long?

Does this cable routing look too long?

My LBS just swapped out the long cage X.9 for a short cage, top-normal, XT derailleur. Looks like replaced the cable and housing while they were at it.

Shifting is now noticeably sluggish- the shifters feel like mush. Is this something inherent in XT shifters (if so, I don't remember it from my XT shifters of several years ago), is it the cable length, or is it likely something else?
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Wow. Compared to the direct cable routing of the SRAM, yeah, that's a lot. You've got a little room to shorten it, but if that loop gets too much tighter, you'll begin to feel the friction.

Ever tried a Rollamajig? They're not too expensive, probably worth a try in your case. I like 'em to get rid of the Shimano loop.

Looks like a hamster nibbled at your seatstays and they're starting to rot. Does that result in any rear wheel travel?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Looks like a hamster nibbled at your seatstays and they're starting to rot. Does that result in any rear wheel travel?
    Dammnit, I knew I shoulda kept Huey the Hamster in his cage!

I'll have a look for these rolliathingies. You're right- just shortening the cable is going to kink something silly.

Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Dammnit, I knew I shoulda kept Huey the Hamster in his cage!
    But seriously, about those chainstay thingies... is that what they do?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    They are a ti pivotless pivot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Ah, if you mean those skinny black bits, they're carbon fibre 'pivots' that flex a bit with suspension movement. One of the distinctive features of a Yeti 575 frame.

I'd somehow managed to overlook them when buying the frame, and would have had second thoughts had I known about them beforehand as I can be a right Luddite sometimes. However, they're reputed to be highly reliable so it's fine.

PS: I just ordered a Rollimajig. Now that you've pointed it out, the cable run with the new derailler is pretty horrible.

Ah! I can't tell you how many 575s I've looked at, and I've never noticed those before. Hmmm...
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Ah, if you mean those skinny black bits, they're carbon fibre 'pivots' that flex a bit with suspension movement. One of the distinctive features of a Yeti 575 frame.

I'd somehow managed to overlook them when buying the frame, and would have had second thoughts had I known about them beforehand as I can be a right Luddite sometimes. However, they're reputed to be highly reliable so it's fine.

PS: I just ordered a Rollimajig. Now that you've pointed it out, the cable run with the new derailler is pretty horrible.

good call on the Rollmajig... it will improve the shifting "crispness" :P

M-761 xt derailleur on 575

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Ah! I can't tell you how many 575s I've looked at, and I've never noticed those before. Hmmm...
    I only noticed mine after reading mention of it on these forums

Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    good call on the Rollmajig... it will improve the shifting "crispness"
    I was wondering how that was going to play out with the chainstay cable routing.

That cable entry looks a little "bent" -- does it work ok?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

I was wondering how that was going to play out with the chainstay cable routing.

That cable entry looks a little "bent" -- does it work ok?
    that was dummy me...that installed the Rollmajig "reversed" and took a pic (you can't see the Avid logo on the pic above) I realized this right away and fixed it..but didn't take another pic

you can see how it turned out in this one

575 resting against a tree

I might give the shadow XT a try eventually though...

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    good call on the Rollmajig... it will improve the shifting "crispness" :P
    Good to know that was an older photo- kind of freaky if your drivetrain was usually that clean

Good to know that was an older photo- kind of freaky if your drivetrain was usually that clean
    that was a very unusual pic... it looks like the second pic most of the time...

mtbr member
    I went to Nokon cables 2 winters ago for my rear der. It was $50 to get the MTB set, but the rear lasted 2 years, one of which included brutal Oregon wet winter riding. I replaced the inner cable housing and actual steel cable this summer just because I assumed it must be time to replace it, not due to any issue. Since I only did the rear and the housing does not wear out, I had everything I needed to redo the rear without buying anything. Voila' 4 years of flawless rear der function for $50.
    that being said, I need lots less cable around pivots and leading to the derailleur itself. I used to experience some ghost shifting due to suspension travel, which is why I tried Nokon in the beginning. It fixed all of that. It took some time initially to set it up and find the optimal lengths for the sections, but it's all good now. I never lube the cable, only the housing once in a while.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I might give the shadow XT a try eventually though...
    Shadow XT?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    I went to Nokon cables 2 winters ago for my rear der. It was $50 to get the MTB set, but the rear lasted 2 years, one of which included brutal Oregon wet winter riding. I replaced the inner cable housing and actual steel cable this summer just because I assumed it must be time to replace it, not due to any issue. Since I only did the rear and the housing does not wear out, I had everything I needed to redo the rear without buying anything. Voila' 4 years of flawless rear der function for $50.
    that being said, I need lots less cable around pivots and leading to the derailleur itself. I used to experience some ghost shifting due to suspension travel, which is why I tried Nokon in the beginning. It fixed all of that. It took some time initially to set it up and find the optimal lengths for the sections, but it's all good now. I never lube the cable, only the housing once in a while.
    but it can be expensive in the 575 because it is made for a full housing run.... so one would need one or 2 expansion packs to make the full run besides the standard kit...

Shadow XT?
    yep.. the 08 shadox XT RD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was very leery of this Rollamag thing but I finally broke down and tried it. It works well. It did reduce my shifting drag slightly but what really improved was my shifting accuracy. Every gear is exact and crisp now.

See pics and my small story in here...
    Do thumb shifters wear out?