Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cable replacement for SRAM X-5 shifter

18K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Aymincendiary 
#1 ·
1st time doing a cable change for an SRAM X-5 shifter /derailleur combo. Have the Bicycle Maintenance and Repair manual, however it does not go into enough detail how to remove the old and install the new cables on the shifter end. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a few simple steps on this procedure or point me to a more comprehensive mountain bike repair manual I could buy on Amazon that could help me in this regard. The derailleur end's easy; it's where the cable attaches at the shifter that has me confused.

I live in the country so the Trek 6000 is my only transportation and the nearest bike shop is 20 miles away. I would rather do the job myself so I know how to in the future.

Thanks!

Chris:D

#2 ·
You can go to the SRAM site, www.sram.com, and work your way through the menu tree----- english, sram, components, shifters, etc, till you get to the right items, then you'll find a service link at the bottom, which will bring up installation and maintainance manuals, which you can view online, or print.

It's pretty straightforward, and I'm sure you won't have any problems. I don't think they mention this, but 2 suggestions.
1- buy a die drawn stainless steel wire as it'll run much smoother than the cheap stuff.
2- dip the head in oil or grease, it'll prevent corrosion and make removal later much easier.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.