mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Cable fray ok???

Sounds like a dumb question as cable fray is obviously not good... But I have a strange situation... One of the metal threads on my cable broke... I have no idea how or how long its been like that. But I just noticed it.

Anyway, I snipped the frayed thread off and glued the end of it down to stop it from unraveling anymore...

Is this ok to ride or am I asking for trouble? Seem like the one thread would not effect the integrity of the cable but who knows. I know replacing the cable would be the best thing to do, but I have never done it so dont want to start making things worse.

Ride or die
    It will just get worse. If it is an FD cable, it won't be too big a deal. If it's the RD cable, it will go south pretty darn quick.

Plus, you might as well learn how to replace the cables. The job is really simple and all you need is a nice pair of cable cutters and a screw driver. Read the tutorials here: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=117 and have fun basking in the autonomous glory of becoming your own mech.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm with mountainbikeloco on this one. When you notice your cable fraying, it's time to replace it. You ought to consider replacing the housing at the same time.

If you wait too long, the cable will break, perhaps at an inopportune time. I've had a derailleur cable break during a ride and it really limited my shifting options for the rest of the ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had that happen and the 1 strand just shortend and curled up inside the housing effectively seizing the cable making shifting a chore if not impossible. Replace the cable

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I'm with mountainbikeloco on this one. When you notice your cable fraying, it's time to replace it. You ought to consider replacing the housing at the same time.

If you wait too long, the cable will break, perhaps at an inopportune time. I've had a derailleur cable break during a ride and it really limited my shifting options for the rest of the ride!

I had a funny story along those lines - out riding my old roadie with DT shifters, noticed the FD cable was damaged and though "yeah I should replace that soon" then not 30 minutes later a dog starts chasing me, I go to throw it in the big ring and the cable snaps - leaving me in my small ring trying to sprint away from the mutt. which of course didn't work out so well.

and of course if it's a brake cable that could get really bad. cables are cheap, it takes 2 minutes to replace it, why not?