It's the axle

Ca chunk, ca chunk!

I just bought this cassette.. XTR 9 speed. It is obviously a defect that caused it to break.

Does Shimano guarantee these kinds of things? If not, that's a hundred and something bucks out the window. I'm not a happy camper. Waaaa!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gregg K; 10-24-2005 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    I just bought this freehub. XTR 9 speed. It is obviously a defect that caused it to break.
    Okay, I'm confused. Did you just buy the cassette or the freehub? If the latter, are you saying that a defect in the freehub caused the cassette to break?

If you meant the cassette, did you buy it new? (Maybe it's just dirty, but it doesn't look that new...)

It's the axle

It's a new cassette.

I've ridden a half dozen times on it. Suddenly a large section breaks off. And it happened right at the fastening rivet. I say it's obviously a defect because it never hit anything, or was damaged in any way. It just broke on it's own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    I've ridden a half dozen times on it. Suddenly a large section breaks off. And it happened right at the fastening rivet. I say it's obviously a defect because it never hit anything, or was damaged in any way. It just broke on it's own.
    See http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont.../warranty.html

It's the axle

Thanks!

Although now I wonder how many months it'll take them. Hey, it was the last ride before the trails were muddy anyways. Yay.

Thanks for finding that for me. Mucho appreciation-O.
    Looks like they're pretty good about replacing broken stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    XTR cassettes seem very prone to breakage. Although a heavier, XT seem much more durable. Just my observation.

It's the axle

It broke at the rivet.

I think it was broken during manufacturing. The big sprockets are titanium. I think the swaged rivet has stress points that titanium is not happy with. But that's a total guess. I would have to do research on notch sensitivity of ti. Or some such thing.
    Yeah, these are really light for 9 speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by 71 10-7
    XTR cassettes seem very prone to breakage. Although a heavier, XT seem much more durable. Just my observation.