Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Busted rear derailleur on FS bike miles from nowhere. Trail side fix ideas?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  nepbug 
#1 ·
I had a stick fly into my chainline and then yoink my X.0 derailleur off the bike today. It snapped the bolt that holds the derailleur to the hanger just as the threads enter the hanger.

No problem, I'll shorten the chainline and go single speed. Then I realized that won't work so well on my FS bike. I needed some sort of tensioner to hold slack in the chain. I was worried that if I tried to snug up the chain like a hardtail that I'd end up snapping the chain as the suspension tried to move. I tried rigging something up with a piece of shifter cable, but it didn't work well at all.

Anyone come up with a decent solution to this problem? Currently my best idea is to just carry a chain tensioner with my repair gear in case this happens again. :skep:

#2 ·
Same exact thing happened to me except I didn't hit anything afaik, mine just suddenly snapped off at the hanger bolt and slammed into the cassette.

It trashed the X9 hanger bolt, one of the jockey wheels, and the plastic insert that the adjuster screw turns in.

My solution?

I purchased a Hanger Banger...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Since I fitted it to the RIP 9, I have had several attempts by sneaky sticks and grumpy rocks to break the new X9 Der off the bike, but they have NOT succeeded ... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Link:

http://www.northshorebillet.com/main.html

Try one for yourself, it could save you the long walk out.. :madman:

R.

#4 ·
Rainman said:
My solution?

I purchased a Hanger Banger...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

R.
Thanks for the tip on the Hanger Banger. Gonna get one...and a chain tensioner just to be extra safe.

I thought you had a Rohloff. In fact, when it snapped off, my first thought once I realized I couldn't trailside fix my RIP9 was "Wish I had a Rohloff like Rainman and I wouldn't be having this problem".

#5 ·
comptiger5000 said:
if you can, just lock out the rear suspension completely, effectively creating a hardtail.
I thought about that. My RP23 can be set so that it reduces rear suspension but I can't lock it out completely. Was afraid that the limited movement would still break the chain. I guess that if the chain breaks, I'm still basically pushing a bike....just like I was with a functioning chain in my backpack and no derailleur. Anyone tried this?

#10 ·
Rotmilky said:
Thanks for the tip on the Hanger Banger. Gonna get one...and a chain tensioner just to be extra safe.

I thought you had a Rohloff. In fact, when it snapped off, my first thought once I realized I couldn't trailside fix my RIP9 was "Wish I had a Rohloff like Rainman and I wouldn't be having this problem".
No problem..:thumbsup:

I do have a Rohloff, it's sitting in my workshop at the moment...sulking.

R.

#11 ·
What good would a chain tensioner be if you have half a bolt stuck in your hanger? I guess there are a few tensioners that use other methods, make sure to look into those.

I would just carry some zip ties. Turn it into a singlespeed and use the original derailleur as a tensioner by attaching it to your chainstay with some zip ties. I think that should work enough to limp it back to civilization.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.