No Shades of Gray

Building drivetrain for short person

I am building (slowly) a nice HT set up for my wife and need some advise.
    She is 5' tall average "build", about 26" inseam and will be on a 14" bike. Can anyone recommend a chainring/cassette/crank size combination for such a height? Or just some overall comments about a shorter person's setup "basics". She rides XC with some good climbs every once in a while but nothing incredible.
    Also, I have been looking at the XT Hollowtech II for her but the q-factor (fact or fiction???) for such a small person makes me wonder. How many different sizes are there in this model? Any thoughts on how to go about this?
    I can measure her old trek 4100 but that is so uncomfortable to her that I figure I might as well start from scratch.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thx,
    Linerider
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Good Luck In Your Search

My wife is 5' and rides 165mm cranks and 42-32-22 chainrings and 12-27 cassette. She;s got a pair of older Shimano cranks and a set of Suginos. I don't know that anyone currently make anything that short but it used to be a regualr option so they are out there if you dont mind running older parts.

As far as gearing I wouldn't worry about it. Stock bikes are geared ridiculously low. Her short legs will make for a slight disadvantage but it's faster to walk uphill than it is to pedal a 22-34 anyway.