Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Budget XX1

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Budget XX1

So I wanted to have some fun and update my drivetrain to a 1x system. I really wanted the XX1 but didn't like the $1500 price tag. I mean hey I bought the bike for 11 bones to begin with. So I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap but I was able to do it for under 500.

Budget XX1

KMC 10 xps chain $18.50 eBay
    Shimano SLX hg81 11-36 cassette $44.99 eBay
    General Lee 29-35-42 $249.80 eBay
    ZEE 10 speed shifter $39.99 JensonUSA
    Race Face Narrow Wide 32t blue chainring $35.99 Bikeman
    Shimano slx m675-10 spd shadow+ rear derailleur $60.25 Merlin Cycles

Total $449.52

Now I ordered my 32t through Jenson who price matched Bikeman's but the ring was on back order so I got another one but in 36t through Art's.

Race Face Narrow Wide 36t blue chainring $38.99 Art's cyclery

Attachment 818646

Attachment 818647

11-13-15-17-19-21-24-29-35-42

Attachment 818648

The next three pics are of the weights of the 2 different 9 speed cassettes I was running a 12-36, a 11-32 and finally a pic of the modified 10 speed 11-42. I'm not a weight weenie and my scale doesn't do grams, only pounds and ounces, so it was the only items I bothered weighing.

Attachment 818649

Attachment 818650

Attachment 818651

Took me awhile to get this drivetrain to shift well on the stand. The shift up and down between the General Lee and the HG-81 isn't the best. Almost as if the spacer isn't quite the correct thickness. I've got it pretty good going up but not so great dropping back down to the SLX cassette. I also might need to shim the chainring a bit to get a better chain line but it's not bad.

It was raining out pretty hard tonight but I caught a break in the storms and took it for a spin and the ratio changes seem fine. I'm gonna be racing tomorrow in an XC race with a good dh section and a real decent climb. No better way to test it out right? I hope I can push that 36t-42t combo up the hill.
    Last edited by StumpyandhisBike; 07-24-2013 at 11:47 AM.

mtbr member

Budget XX1

Cool. I also looked really hard at the 1x11 drive train but settled on a 1x10 instead.

Everything I've seen on those rings for the back is they work ok, but nothing to write home about.

Good luck to ya. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks man. I will say that the shifts seem to be better riding around in my street compared to on the stand. Jury is still out whether they were worth the money or not. I will update after tonight's race to see how it was riding with the General Lee as well as if I have any dropped chains or any other problems with the Raceface narrow wide ring or the SLX rear mech.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    very cool. thanks for posting this. please keep us updated on the General Lee on your race.

i too am very curious on a 1x10 large gear ration setup. i found this thread as another option: 10s 11-39 cassette

mtbr member
    I wasnt aware the general lee was available in a 42 - I thought its biggest was a 40. That is a very good option for me as well - I was considering doing a XX1 crankset paired with the new X01 rear to make things affordable. Yours will be cheaper still!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well the official results haven't been posted yet but I think I either got first or second in my age group (19-34) and class (beginner). Best finish I've ever had. That said I am 33 years old 40 lbs over weight. I ended up having to walk one steep section on the second lap. I was at that point and at least one other time wishing for another low gear. The 32t gear on back order would definitely help there. Or I could lose some more weight and get stronger!

Shifting wasn't that bad. Shifting in the three gears of the GL was fine but not as good as the 7 other gears. Shifting numerically up through the entire cassete gears was better than numerically down. Again this may just be me needing to do more adjusting. I still have no shift from 29 to 24. I have to drop to 21 and back to 24 if that's the gear I want.

This XC course has a lot of roots ,a couple good rock gardens, jumps if younwant them, dropped trees and tonight it was very muddy. I never once dropped a chain. In fact except for the lack of gear, during the second lap I basically forgot about the drivetrain.

All in all I'm very happy with it. I have just bit more adjusting to do to get it spot on. Actually the only thing that I didn't like was at times I could feel the GL rotating back on the drive hub. I'm going to play with some spacers to see if I can get a tighter interface.

You can see the back cuts in the machining at the hub interface in this pic.
    Attachment 818942

My impressions? Shifting is good but could be better. Never dropped the chain and I was trying over a rough course. The drivetrain was stealth silent! Oh and I need more legs to push the gears I chose. Overall I'm stoked and very happy I did it!

mtbr member

Budget XX1

Still, great that you did so well. Thanks for the ride report.

I had my chance to check out a xx drive train and it is a machined thing of beauty. No doubt about that. But cost is way out of my league.

Ride more and those pounds will shed and legs will grow stronger. I've got 12 years on ya and it still helps me every day.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks, I will keep strengthening myself and continue to shed more weight. That section I had to walk I didn't have to walk before with my 2x9 setup. But I had a 22-36 option. When the 32t comes I will use that to try and get a bit more spin and do less of the mashing that I'm doing now. My knees are a little sore this morning. That all said if it wasn't a race I wouldn't have been pushing myself as hard and I most likely wouldn't have had any problems on a regular ride. I could ride this setup anywhere is my initial thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So I did a quick 5 mile ride today over the roughest trails I know and still no dropped chains. I do believe that I need to shim the CR over just a bit. The only shims I have are thicker than I want but might try them anyhow. Shifting in the General Lee isn't all that responsive. Going up in teeth is never a problem. It's going back down that it hangs up now and then. I've never been unable to tune a bike transmission and this one is giving me the most headaches I've ever experienced. Now I have my mid season legs so I was able to climb a hill that gave me issues earlier this year. I also messed myself up once, instinctively going for the front derailure and hitting my relocated Reverb remote LOL! Still happy overall but it has been far from bolt on and go parts. I like to tinker though and is part of the reason I did it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've just bit the bullet and got the last one on eBay. See if i can get is going smooth with an XTR Shadow+ RD, 400km old chain and a hopefully-not-too-worn bottom half of my XT cassette. Will report back with results.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Right on man. I hope the xtr works better for you. I'm wondering if I should have gone the sram route sometimes or XT or ZEE all the way. I've never had a problem though with SLX before though. I also went with a long cage. Would I have got better performance out of a shorte cage I wonder? Well let us know how it works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll keep fiddling with the B-screw height, clutch tension, shifter cable tension, chain length etc until I get it working well. Hopefully.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Update... Swapped wheels this weekend to my more robust DH worthy hoops and tires and took the rig out to Mt. Snow for a day and Highland MTB park for two on a east coast trip with my bud. No dropped chains and still the only shifting issue I have is going from the 29t to the 24t. Otherwise it all works super well together and I have a bike that one day I can go race XC and two days later be charging down gnar and railing high speed berms. My friend was dropping his chain and I had no issues.

mtbr member
    subscribed

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mine turned up and I installed it this afternoon. Same problem here: struggles to go from 29 to 24.

I'm running:

29er hardtail
    11-36 xt with 29 35 42 general lee
    Xtr shadow + rd, b screw from 9 Spd xt derailleur since the xtr one was too short
    112 link kmc x10sl chain, 34t rotor q-ring front with superstar xcr chain guide, 450mm chainstay

The general lee teeth are much higher than the xt cassette teeth, and the rd is a long way below the 24 cog so this won't help with shifting.

Anyway, this was the only problem in my riding up and down the street. Hopefully will test it later in the week on some steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Budget XX1

Looks promising, thus, subscribing.

Posted via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Interesting. The original SRAM version was 25-29-34-40.
    I thought the new Shimano compatible one was 28-34-40.

General Lee 40T ? Cassette Adaptor (Shimano) | I-MTB Magazine

General Lee 40T - Cassette Adaptor (Shimano) - Bagnoli Bike

I would like to try it in converting my 2 x 10 to 1 x 10, but the thing is, reducing my chainring from 38 to a 34 or 36 would give me an even lower lowest gear, which is nice, but I wish we could get a 10 tooth rear cog. A 10 tooth rear cog would be very useful in this situation. Reducing the size of the then (with 1 x 10) front single chainring allows a tad more clearance and is slightly lighter than a bigger chainring, and give lower climbing gears. Somebody give us a screw on 10 tooth to replace the 11 tooth and we're sitting pretty with a 10-40 in a 10 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Interesting. The original SRAM version was 25-29-34-40.
    I thought the new Shimano compatible one was 28-34-40.

General Lee 40T - Cassette Adaptor (Shimano) - Bagnoli Bike

I would like to try it in converting my 2 x 10 to 1 x 10, but the thing is, reducing my chainring from 38 to a 34 or 36 would give me an even lower lowest gear, which is nice, but I wish we could get a 10 tooth rear cog. A 10 tooth rear cog would be very useful in this situation. Reducing the size of the then (with 1 x 10) front single chainring allows a tad more clearance and is slightly lighter than a bigger chainring, and give lower climbing gears. Somebody give us a screw on 10 tooth to replace the 11 tooth and we're sitting pretty with a 10-40 in a 10 speed cassette.

Pretty sure a 10-tooth is to small a radius to fit on a standard freehub, which is why the XX1/X01 uses a different (smaller diameter) freehub to fit the 10T that it comes with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    Mine turned up and I installed it this afternoon. Same problem here: struggles to go from 29 to 24.

I'm running:

29er hardtail
    11-36 xt with 29 35 42 general lee
    Xtr shadow + rd, b screw from 9 Spd xt derailleur since the xtr one was too short
    112 link kmc x10sl chain, 34t rotor q-ring front with superstar xcr chain guide, 450mm chainstay

The general lee teeth are much higher than the xt cassette teeth, and the rd is a long way below the 24 cog so this won't help with shifting.

Anyway, this was the only problem in my riding up and down the street. Hopefully will test it later in the week on some steep stuff.
    Is your XTR rear a long or medium cage? I currently have a XX1 crank with 28t chainring and 11-36 XTR rear cassette, shifter and derailleur... Thinking about buying leonardi for Shimano but the issue with 29-24 shifting is stopping me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's a medium

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Took it on some steep stuff today....works really well! Got up some stuff that i had ran out of puff on previously. The big gear jumps weren't noticeable. Going to have to keep an eye on the wear rate of it though. The cogs are an aluminum alloy and I'm nervous about how much they will wear.

On the trail I adjusted the B-screw to get the jockey wheel as close to the 42T as I could without it interfering with shifting down, and fiddled with the shifting barrel adjusters. Now, most of the time it is shifting from 29 to 24. Up shifts are great.

I went with this since I love my single front Rotor Q-ring, but it only comes in a 34T and i wanted a lower range. XX1 was ruled out since I have C29ssmax wheels and I can't get an XD driver for that.

I'm thinking this is an excellent alternative if you like to fiddle with drivetrain components yourself, like a challenge and like having a unique bike. However, if I was building another bike I would go X01 or XX1 in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by c3024446; 08-14-2013 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm glad you were able to get it to shift better. I probably could play with it more but I have spent too much time tinkering at this point and not enough just riding. I wonder if using Action-Tec's jockey pulley would help at all?

Action Tec Home Page

I also agree with you that if XX1 or X01 were more affordable I would just go that route. I really don't want to buy new wheels to get something that would accept the XD driver.

Got my first ride in yesterday with the 32t Raceface NW and would have to say it makes for a much better trail and XC gear range. I'm happy I have both now for different terrain.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Interested to know if anyone has tried a SRAM derailleur yet with the General Lee cogs yet? I have the 25-40T SRAM cassette cogs from GL and using an XT Shadow+ derailleur and having the same finicky shifting behavior. In my case it's going from the GL 25T to the SRAM 22T. Like everyone else here shifting up is never a problem and overall I've been very impressed with this setup.

According to the Pink Bike review (First Look: General Lee Wide-Range Cassette Adapter - Pinkbike), they found SRAM derailleurs to shift better with this conversion but would like to hear if others have experienced the same.
    ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pinkbike has a review on the 11-40 GenLee setup. They said the X9t2 was better performing than Zee on same cassette range.
    First Look: General Lee Wide-Range Cassette Adapter - Pinkbike
    Perhaps the Shimano cassette 11-42 with sram shifter/Der would be the ticket?
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    HERE IS YOUR BUDGET XX1!

this was a leaked photo by pinkbike of yeti team rider jared graves yeti sb66 bike - the one he won the last big enduro race on...take a look at the rear cassette. giant shimano cassette, 10 cogs, looks like its a production XTR rear derailleur which means stock shifter. this photo was published in a story that was on pinkbikes front page for a matter of minutes before being deleted...

so this appears to be...a shimano version of the general lee

search "wide range shimano cassette pinkbike" on google and click on the cached version of the first hit to read the full article

cant wait for interbike this year! could be the first time in a lonnnnng time that something interesting was released there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    Interested to know if anyone has tried a SRAM derailleur yet with the General Lee cogs yet? I have the 25-40T SRAM cassette cogs from GL and using an XT Shadow+ derailleur and having the same finicky shifting behavior. In my case it's going from the GL 25T to the SRAM 22T. Like everyone else here shifting up is never a problem and overall I've been very impressed with this setup.

According to the Pink Bike review (First Look: General Lee Wide-Range Cassette Adapter - Pinkbike), they found SRAM derailleurs to shift better with this conversion but would like to hear if others have experienced the same.
    I have about 5 rides on my GL 11-40 SRAM setup (X9 Type2 mid-cage) and its been shifting fine with no real finicky issues. It is not a smooth as it was and is a little clunky going from SRAM to GL. I am going to try and take a little material off the spacer between them this weekend to see if it will help smooth things out, think there is just a little bit to big of a gap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That probably is the general lee adapter, looks exactly like it.

Quote Originally Posted by greenblinker104 View Post
    HERE IS YOUR BUDGET XX1!

this was a leaked photo by pinkbike of yeti team rider jared graves yeti sb66 bike - the one he won the last big enduro race on...take a look at the rear cassette. giant shimano cassette, 10 cogs, looks like its a production XTR rear derailleur which means stock shifter. this photo was published in a story that was on pinkbikes front page for a matter of minutes before being deleted...

so this appears to be...a shimano version of the general lee

search "wide range shimano cassette pinkbike" on google and click on the cached version of the first hit to read the full article

cant wait for interbike this year! could be the first time in a lonnnnng time that something interesting was released there

Ski during the off-season
    I have wondered why when 10 spd cassettes became available, why a larger range cassette was not provided as an option, rather than tighter spacing. I assumed it was due to the range of the RD not being able to handle larger cog combinations. The GL makes me realize that my assumption was not valid.

For a 3x10 drive chain, a 11-36 cassette somewhat makes sense, but for a 2x10, having a 11-42 cassette would be nice. My SJ came with 22/36 rings -- this works well for me for the low end, but when riding some of the longer fast down hill sections, I quickly run out gears. If I had a 11-42 cassette, I would go with 24/28 or 26/40 for the rings (I have not run the #'s to see would compare best to the ratios of my old 3x9 drive train).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not entirely on topic, but one of the manufacturers photos of 2014 bikes recently released shows an X01 that appears to have a double crankset - though the spec says 1x11 and there is no front Der. Or guide.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a 2x11 from sram.

Back to the budget XX1 - has anyone run the GL 11-42 shimano wit x9/X0 shfter derailleur combos?
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ride two on the 11-42 - shifting nicely in all gears, up and down. May have just needed to settle in. I'm not touching the derailleur limits or b-screw anymore, they're surely at some golden spot at the moment!

mtbr member

Another budget 1x10 wide range conversion

Ordered the GL for my Mojo HD (Shimano version that goes up to 42) & installed it with a Shimano XT 11-36 cassette (only removed 3 largest so it is still 10 speed) and I'm running an XTR Shadow+ ;replaced my 38 / 26 front rings with a 34t Race Face narrow-wide - Adjusted limits and B-screw but did not change my chain length at all

Shifts pretty darn good with a slight stutter / delay when shifting from 29 to 24, but otherwise almost as good as it was shifting before - didn't remove FD yet - want to make sure I like it but I'm liking it so far after 2 big rides!

GL adapter - $155 shipped + Race Face Ring - $38 shipped = converted for $193.

Based on this picture in 42, do you think I need to add to my chain? It still seems to have some play when I take the air out of the shock and bottom out.

Attachment 827542

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Skyno,

Where did you find the GL adapter for $155? The cheapest I've found it is on eBay for almost $200 shipped.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanbosse View Post
    Skyno,

Where did you find the GL adapter for $155? The cheapest I've found it is on eBay for almost $200 shipped.

Thanks!
    Look at online bike shops from Germany

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Skyno,

Thanks!
    Here you go... Leonardi Racing General Lee Kassettenadapter 29-42z für Shimano

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I guess I should've been more specific about location. Do they ship to the US?

Thanks

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    I guess I should've been more specific about location. Do they ship to the US?

Thanks
    Yes they do. Mine is en route as we speak via DHL>USPS with tracking

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I almost pulled the trigger last week from bikediscount, wish I hadnt waited, looks like they are out of stock on the Shimano one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For those that are using the General Lee, how is it holding up to wear? I'm vacillating between this or getting a 39t actiontec Ti cog. I'm a bit concerned of the longevity since its aluminum.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I haven't noticed any accelerated wear but I've only had it for a few months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am going back and forth on my new build. I want a 1X10 or 1 X11 (need crank , derailleur, shifter -i have a 10spd) I do not need the extra gearing unless I go to the mnts. Leaning towards 1 X11 because it is newer and more may be avail later...maybe I should ignore that. Is Shimano going 11spd?

here is what I am thinking
    XX1 crank- You can use a 10spd or 11spd chain on an XX1 crank and you are suppose to not need a guide. Is this correct?

If I go 10sp
    long cage derraileur
    12-36 cassette and purchase a 41 or 42 extra ring ebay when going to mnts
    or have extra 11-27 ish for local trails (need extra chains)
    Have an XX 10spd shifter
    11 spd
    xx1 rear and shifter
    run a 11-29 insh {they may have a 12-32 road now) 11spd road cassette (hope it would go on my cassette body)
    Later decide if I want to buy an XX1 cassette body and cassette- Not sure the 11-29 wont be good enough since a ride a ss with a 32 X 19

Would love feed back before I shell out the $'s

Here, diagonally!
    I got my 42t Shimano General Lee installed and working nicely. I’m running an XT Shadow plus and Wolftooth 30t up front.

However – I did have some problems I’d like to mention in case it helps anyone. I’m going to start with a warning - when you are setting up the derailleur, and before you shorten your chain, check for interference between the inner cage and the 42t cog with the derailleur cage pulled forward, shifting on and off the 42t cog. Now the details.

I initially thought I’d start off by trying this with my X7 short cage, even though a long-cage is recommended. The X7 shorty had more than enough capacity even accounting for FS chain growth, and I was able to get it shifting very well fairly quickly. I did have a slight indexing problem and added a .2mm shim to the supplied spacer, but with that it shifted great. I dialed it in on the stand, did a test ride around the block and all was well. Time to hit the trail.

So….2 miles into my ride, when shifting from the 42t low to 2nd gear, the derailleur hanger snapped, and the cage on the derailleur broke as well. Ugh, time to walk. Upon investigation at home, I determined that the inner cage was interfering with the 42t cog during the shift when the cage was pulled forward. This didn't happen on the stand, but when the suspension compressed, that pulled the cage forward enough to cause the problem.

So when I installed my XT mid-cage, I checked this carefully, and saw that there was interference as well. It started when the derailleur was pointing a little forward from straight down. So I clearanced the inner cage with a dremel to increase the range. I still can’t use the full capacity of the derailleur, but I made the chain long enough so that there was no chance of interference even accounting for chain growth.

Regarding the SRAM vs. Shimano shifting with this adapter – the SRAM definitely shifted better for me. Not as good as stock, but close enough that it’s not much of an issue. However I want a clutch derailleur, and I’m not convinced that SRAM has their act together in that area, so Shimano it is. With the XT mid, all of the shifts were fine other getting on and off the GL adapter. Going from the stock 4th up onto the GL 3rd was slightly slow, but acceptable. But going from 3 on the GL down to the stock 4 just did not want to happen. So I took a dremel to the outside back of the teeth on the GL 3rd gear, and that did wonders. I finally got it shifting pretty good both ways on the stand.

What I found on the trail is that if you apply just a bit of power to the pedals during the shift, it shifts fine. So overall I am happy with it. I actually prefer the wider ratio gaps between gears.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi jackl,

Thanks for the detailed write up. When you say that it shifts fine "with just a bit of power", does that mean it doesn't shift well with higher load, or no load?

Thanks!

Here, diagonally!
    At this point, it will shift through all gears every time even with no load. The shift is a bit slower than stock going on and off the GL, however currently it is not getting hung up or anything like that. With a little bit of power to the pedals, it shifts quicker and I'd say very close to stock. I don't normally shift while putting heavy power to the pedals, and have not tried that. Hope that helps clarify.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Received the General Lee yesterday and installed it this morning. I'm running a Race Face N/W 30T with a X9 mid type 2. I read another post about minor shifting issues and someone thinking of machining the supplied spacer down a little so I went ahead and installed mine with a Miche 10 speed spacer that I had laying around. It was slightly thinner than the supplied spacer. Maybe 1-2 mm? I should have measured it. Anyway, it shifts perfect! I didn't have to adjust anything other than the B screw.
    Attachment 828352
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Received the General Lee yesterday and installed it this morning. I'm running a Race Face N/W 30T with a X9 mid type 2. I read another post about minor shifting issues and someone thinking of machining the supplied spacer down a little so I went ahead and installed mine with a Miche 10 speed spacer that I had laying around. It was slightly thinner than the supplied spacer. Maybe 1-2 mm? I should have measured it. Anyway, it shifts perfect! I didn't have to adjust anything other than the B screw.
    Attachment 828352
    Man, I tried installing the Miche 10 speed spacer and I didn't notice a significant improvement. At this point it's just the hang up that you noted too. I'm wishing I had went sram now because I can't seem to tune it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    mine 1x10 works greate = xx1(34t) crank + xt 11-36 cassette + xtr shifter + type1(!) xtr derail.
    24h MTB no chaindrop, shifting very precise, low weight . Now looking for XX cassette to drop much more grams on drivetrain
    Scott Scale 29er FHT, Scott Foil, Chinese 29er FHT

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

milfe ritze

Thanks a lot, I got mine ordered yesterday. I think it's wise to order one 16teeth pinion for 11-36 sprocket. Take of the 15t and 17t and replace it with this 16t. After that there will be space to add the big 42 sprocket! This is super clever! I think it is possible to use xt,slx and xtr cassettes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    :-)
    Last edited by catalin.strava; 09-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

Skyno,

Thanks!
    Actually $207.30. Just pulled the trigger on the SRAM adapter. Hoping for a durable functional part
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Otherwise, I'm having similar issues to others with the jump between the GL carrier and XT cogs. If I put enough cable tension for it to shift onto the carrier, it won't shift down, and vice versa with a looser cable. I'm hoping this will sort itself out as the cassette wears in.

A tip for those looking for a longer b-screw, you can gain length by flipping the b-screw around so that it's threaded in from the other side. That was enough to allow me to get the b-screw tension needed to clear the 42.
    Last edited by D(C); 09-09-2013 at 06:19 PM.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Otherwise, I'm having similar issues to others with the jump between the GL carrier and XT cogs. If I put enough cable tension for it to shift onto the carrier, it won't shift down, and vice versa with a looser cable. I'm hoping this will sort itself out as the cassette wears in.
    Try a Miche 10 speed spacer instead of the one supplied with the GL. I think the GL spacer is a hair too thick. Working great for me so far.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Budget or not budget:
    I have a frame and fork and ready to build. I am starting from scratch so I am not wanting to convert to a XX1 like system however I have a tight budget but not worried to do it slowly. My dilemma is XX1 or XO1 1X11 or 1 X 10. I can get a XX 10spd shifter for $80. I also have some Gxp bb which the frame is made for
    This is what I am thinking
    XX1 setup
    XX1 crank 32T GXP 168q $269 (other suggestions?)
    XX1 shifter $155
    XX1 or XO1 rear Der $200
    XX1 or XO1 cassette $360 ouch
    11 spd chain $55
    Hope XX1 driver $89
    1 X10
    XX shifter $80
    XX1 crank GXP 168q $269
    XO1 or X9 type 2 rear Der $160 or $89 ( I guess long so I could run a bigger cassette)
    10spd road cassette 11/29 or a 12 X 36 $60 maybe an XX $300
    10 spd chain $40

(maybe I stick with the 1 X10 and just get an extra front Chainring 28Tor30T if I go to the mnts)
    I am build this 650b for local trails. I have two 29ers (one SS and one gear 2X9)

I like the idea of a smaller cassette for the local tight twisty single track but may want to bring to the mnts where I might like more gears however I have ridden most mnt trails on my SS with a 32 X 19 29er (was difficult). I had thought about going 1 X 10 but using a 11 spd XX1 or XO1 read der but what I have read is it will not work with 10 speed. Any truth to that? The only reason for the idea is I would be more ready for 11 speed if I decided later to go there.

What would you do? I probably will have to buy piece by piece and not complete until Jan-feb. I just want to get started.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here is my 2 cents. I've run this setup in a few variations on a couple of 29ers and it seems to be perfect for trails here in Austin TX...
    - Shimano or SRAM 10 speed rear with 11-36 cassette clutch rear (shorter cage = better).
    - Front crank with 28 tooth setup. Two ways to get this pretty simply. Get XX1 crank and buy 28t chainring OR get a GXP crankset and buy wolf tooth 28t setup. You'll have no need for a chain guide or derailleur guide as both setups are designed to eliminate dropped chains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    More GL updates, please. This sounds very cool
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm having the same issues as others with the jump between the General Lee 29-42 carrier and XT cogs. I initially tried the supplied spacer at ~2.2mm and then a thinner one I had at ~1.8mm. I think the Miche 10 speed spacer is thicker that the supplied spacer. The thinner one at ~1.8mm works better, but it is still not very good. There is considerable delay shifting on and off the GL. The chain does not want to catch the ramps or release from the teeth. Seems like the 29T ramp and/or tooth profile is not correct or something...? Using a med cage XTR Shadow+ RD. I need to get it out for a ride or two to see if it improves. Fingers crossed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike View Post
    I'm having the same issues as others with the jump between the General Lee 29-42 carrier and XT cogs. I initially tried the supplied spacer at ~2.2mm and then a thinner one I had at ~1.8mm. I think the Miche 10 speed spacer is thicker that the supplied spacer. The thinner one at ~1.8mm works better, but it is still not very good. There is considerable delay shifting on and off the GL. The chain does not want to catch the ramps or release from the teeth. Seems like the 29T ramp and/or tooth profile is not correct or something...? Using a med cage XTR Shadow+ RD. I need to get it out for a ride or two to see if it improves. Fingers crossed...
    Man, that sucks. To pay that kind of money and not have smooth shifting. These aftermarket companies just sometimes seem to be lazy with quality control or decent testing. They come out with some product they think will be all the rage, then just let bad performance be ironed out by the consumer.

Come on, Leonardi, get it right! We're paying big money for some aluminum that just doesn't work.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just a quick update - My original chain was a KMC X10SL. I replaced it with a SLX 10spd chain to see if the uni-directional link design would make a difference. It did help some with the shifting on/off the GL on my up and down the street test. It still is not perfect, but may be good enough. I have not had a chance to go for a proper trail ride on it, so the jury is still out...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I too had this problem when running the General Lee with a Shimano setup.

I don't believe it's the General Lee causing the problem... it's the Shimano rear derailleur.

I switched mine over to a Sram shifter and X9 Type 2 mid cage derailleur... problem solved... shifts really well in both directions. I've also seen others on the interwebby with similar experiences to mine. Stop playing around with spacers etc and give a Sram derailleur a try.

Cheers
    fatMuz
    2017 Nicolai G13
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9
    2016 Evil The Following

dvn
    mtbr member
    I'm running a X9 mid Type 2 with X9 shifter. I have no problem shifting onto the GL but do experience some hesitation shifting off of it. I'm running the Miche spacer which is definitely thinner than the supplied spacer. Still dialing it in but the way it is right now is not a deal breaker. Maybe I'll try the supplied spacer but I can't imagine a thicker spacer being an improvement.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can someone measure and post the thickness of the Miche spacer? Thanks.

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

Can someone measure and post the thickness of the Miche spacer? Thanks.
    Also post up pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    I too had this problem when running the General Lee with a Shimano setup.

I don't believe it's the General Lee causing the problem... it's the Shimano rear derailleur.

I switched mine over to a Sram shifter and X9 Type 2 mid cage derailleur... problem solved... shifts really well in both directions. I've also seen others on the interwebby with similar experiences to mine. Stop playing around with spacers etc and give a Sram derailleur a try.

Cheers
    fatMuz
    I-mtb actually found that the Shimano version with Shimano derailleur shifted smoother than Sram version - I'm running it with XTR+ derailleur & the spacer provided - get almost flawless downshifting, but a stutter / delay in upshifting off the adapter - not a big problem, but I am going to try to thin the spacer and maybe ajdust the cogs as somebody else recommended

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I-mtb actually found that the Shimano version with Shimano derailleur shifted smoother than Sram version - I'm running it with XTR+ derailleur & the spacer provided - get almost flawless downshifting, but a stutter / delay in upshifting off the adapter - not a big problem, but I am going to try to thin the spacer and maybe ajdust the cogs as somebody else recommended

Interesting. i-mtb is using a SLX cassette and that looks to shift much better than my XT. Are you using a SLX, too? Maybe the XT requires a different thickness spacer?

mtbr member
    Interesting. i-mtb is using a SLX cassette and that looks to shift much better than my XT. Are you using a SLX, too? Maybe the XT requires a different thickness spacer?
    I'm pretty sure I am using an XT cassette as well - I'm sure you tried this, but did you try adjusting your B screw back & forth? That was the adjustment that allowed me to dial it in pretty well - I did not touch any of the other adjustments. Also, was your current cassette in pretty good shape?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just installed mine. I ended up getting the 40T version as I figured the 42 was gonna much more finicky and not worth the hassle. I'm using a XT cassette, SLX mid cage derailleur, and a 10SL chain, I screwed the b screw all the way in, no issues shifts fine. Only thing I noticed was it's louder and more pingy sounding when shifting and I can pretty much guess it's because its aluminum vs steel and transferring the noise much easier. This is all on the stand, no real world yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    Just installed mine. I ended up getting the 40T version as I figured the 42 was gonna much more finicky and not worth the hassle. I'm using a XT cassette, SLX mid cage derailleur, and a 10SL chain, I screwed the b screw all the way in, no issues shifts fine. Only thing I noticed was it's louder and more pingy sounding when shifting and I can pretty much guess it's because its aluminum vs steel and transferring the noise much easier. This is all on the stand, no real world yet.
    Yeah - the loud, tinny, pingy sound really stood out at 1st to me as well - after a few rides, either I have gotten used to it, or it has dampened

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

did you try adjusting your B screw back & forth? That was the adjustment that allowed me to dial it in pretty well - I did not touch any of the other adjustments.
    I had to install a longer chain to fit the 40T, and am still fiddling with low gear limit and cable tension to pop the chain up. B screw definitely needs to be turned clockwise until the chain fits below that mother of cogs.

dvn
    mtbr member
    GL update. The Miche spacer measures 2.13 mm. The supplied spacer measures 2.36 mm. The KMC 10SL chain I was running measures a thickness of 5.98 mm. An SLX chain measures 5.82 mm. I figured I would give the SLX chain a try and it was worse than the KMC. I installed the original spacer and still NG. Then I noticed I had installed the SLX chain backwards. I'm not used to directional chains. I flipped the chain around and Presto! Seems to be shifting flawlessly around the yard. I'll take it out for a real test tomorrow. I'm guessing that the directional nature of the SLX chain helps it on and off the ramps a bit. It sure didn't work backwards so there must be something to it. I don't think the different spacers really made any difference.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    GL update. The Miche spacer measures 2.13 mm. The supplied spacer measures 2.36 mm. The KMC 10SL chain I was running measures a thickness of 5.98 mm. An SLX chain measures 5.82 mm. I figured I would give the SLX chain a try and it was worse than the KMC. I installed the original spacer and still NG. Then I noticed I had installed the SLX chain backwards. I'm not used to directional chains. I flipped the chain around and Presto! Seems to be shifting flawlessly around the yard. I'll take it out for a real test tomorrow. I'm guessing that the directional nature of the SLX chain helps it on and off the ramps a bit. It sure didn't work backwards so there must be something to it. I don't think the different spacers really made any difference.
    Thanks for the measurements.

I, too, switched back to the original spacer and a SLX chain. It seems to shift much better now on the stand and around the neighborhood. I think the uni-directional chain makes a huge difference. I will not get a chance to trail test until next week as I will be in Whistler with my DH rig this weekend.

dvn
    mtbr member
    I got about 10 singletrack miles in today before getting caught in the rain. Shifting up onto the GL was flawless as usual. I still had a very slight hesitation shifting off of it but it's really not an issue at all. Very pleased with the setup at this point.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How is the GL holding up to use? I held off on buying one because its aluminum. I opted for the actiontec 39t hardened Ti cog instead, but would've like a bit more range in gearing.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    How is the GL holding up to use? I held off on buying one because its aluminum. I opted for the actiontec 39t hardened Ti cog instead, but would've like a bit more range in gearing.

Thanks!
    So far so good - I've got a couple hundred miles on mine now, including over 60 miles of pounding the sh!+ out of it shuttling in Ashland a couple weeks ago; no problems or wear yet - smoothness of shifting has maybe diminished a bit, but still shifts very well - no complaints

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Thanks!
    I don't know how many miles I have but I'm riding several times a week and I'm still not seeing any significant wear. I'm gonna try the shimano chain and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Update: Yesterday I was riding down some fairly gnarly stuff and my rear derailleur cable snapped right next to the lock ring on the rear derailleur. Not totally sure why it happened - could be that the cable had just worn out - I probably have over 1500 miles on it. It could have been from an impact or something caught up in it. The other possibility is that I was thinking that having the 11-42 GL adapter with the B-screw tightened all the way puts in under more tension and potentially makes it more likely to snap? Does this make any sense?

Anyways, I had a spare cable around, so I replaced the cable but not the housing and shifting is not good anymore - not just on the GL but all-around bad shifting and I am having a hard time getting it back to decent shifting. Before the cable snapped, shifting was dialed in really well. Is is likely that I need to replace housing as well in order to get it back to where it was? Thanks for your help!

mtbr member

Budget XX1

If you have around 1500 on the cable I would definetly start with new housing also. That's a lot of mtn bike miles on a cable. IMHO

Bill

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I had to install a longer chain to fit the 40T, and am still fiddling with low gear limit and cable tension to pop the chain up. B screw definitely needs to be turned clockwise until the chain fits below that mother of cogs.
    My bike is still on the stand; I'm still fiddling. Having trouble getting the chain to jump to the 40T. Cassette installed with 1mm spacer between hub and GL 40T. Tried a 2mm spacer but that extra mm prevented the threads of the cap from engaging. Replaced stock B screw with a longer one and there is plenty of clearance there. Installed a new KMC chain with 2 additional links over the existing chain used for 11-36 cassette, so that's not it. That leaves cable tension. Pulled the cable tight with all the tension in shifter backed off, no go. My next step will be to tighten cable more with barrel adjuster and pray that will do it.

Any other thoughts?

mtbr member
    My bike is still on the stand; I'm still fiddling. Having trouble getting the chain to jump to the 40T. Cassette installed with 1mm spacer between hub and GL 40T. Tried a 2mm spacer but that extra mm prevented the threads of the cap from engaging. Replaced stock B screw with a longer one and there is plenty of clearance there. Installed a new KMC chain with 2 additional links over the existing chain used for 11-36 cassette, so that's not it. That leaves cable tension. Pulled the cable tight with all the tension in shifter backed off, no go. My next step will be to tighten cable more with barrel adjuster and pray that will do it.

Any other thoughts?
    Which derailleur are you using again? The only other possible things I can think of:

Derailleur cage too short
    Limit screw still too far in
    Worn out cable
    Something else is bent or loose (hanger, axle,etc.)

This of course assumes that you are positive your chain is still not too short

dvn
    mtbr member

Any other thoughts?
    I am using the supplied 2.3 mm spacer and never had an issue shifting onto the GL gears. Strange that yours won't fit.?? My only issue was hesitation shifting off of the 28T cog. Mudbike and myself had issues with the KMC chains. We both switched to a directional Shimano chain (SLX) and have seen major improvement.
    > dbhammercycle

dwt
    mtbr member
    Which derailleur are you using again? The only other possible things I can think of:

Derailleur cage too short
    Limit screw still too far in
    Worn out cable
    Something else is bent or loose (hanger, axle,etc.)

This of course assumes that you are positive your chain is still not too short
    Limit screw plus cable tension

This set up doesn't appear that it will ever shift smoothly though. Please some aftermarket manufacturer produce a wide range 10 speed cassette for us budget 1X10 riders

dvn
    mtbr member
    Limit screw plus cable tension

This set up doesn't appear that it will ever shift smoothly though.
    Are you dead set against trying a directional chain for some reason?
    > dbhammercycle

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

Are you dead set against trying a directional chain for some reason?
    No in theory. Just bought the KMC though. Plus, does the Shimano directional work with quick link? Haven't used a chain without quick or missing link for 15 years.

Edit: the directional chains are pricey. Even on sale

http://www.cambriabike.com/Shimano-D...-103-Links.asp
    Last edited by dwt; 09-16-2013 at 01:22 PM.

dvn
    mtbr member
    No in theory. Just bought the KMC though. Plus, does the Shimano directional work with quick link? Haven't used a chain without quick or missing link for 15 years.

Edit: the directional chains are pricey. Even on sale

Shimano Dura-Ace Cn-7900 10 Speed Chain (100044562) at CambriaBike.com
    The KMC links work fine with the Shimano chains. I don't think the SLX chain is pricey at all. Free SHIP Shimano Deore CN HG54 Chain 10 Speed 116 Links Works with XTR XT SLX | eBay
    > dbhammercycle

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

The KMC links work fine with the Shimano chains. I don't think the SLX chain is pricey at all. Free SHIP Shimano Deore CN HG54 Chain 10 Speed 116 Links Works with XTR XT SLX | eBay
    Thanks for link to SLX chain. I went ahead and bought it.

As far as the missing link, what I was worried about is that it might not be compatible with asymmetric chain. If it is, all the better.

mtbr member

Sv: Budget XX1

It is not a SLX chain, but a DEORE chain and as far as I remember it is not directional.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cerveza View Post
    It is not a SLX chain, but a DEORE chain and as far as I remember it is not directional.
    Ahh, crap. You are correct. I just did a quick search for SLX chain and didn't pay attention to the model. The SLX is a HG74. My apologizes.
    Shimano Chain SLX CN HG74 116L 10 Speed Bicycle Parts | eBay
    > dbhammercycle

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

Ahh, crap. You are correct. I just did a quick search for SLX chain and didn't pay attention to the model. The SLX is a HG74. My apologizes.
    Shimano Chain SLX CN HG74 116L 10 Speed Bicycle Parts | eBay
    So looks like I will be running symmetrical chain. My drive is Frankendrive anyway. WTC ring, KMC chain, SRAM X0 Type 2 mech, SRAM + General Lee cassette mix.

I'll put the Simano chain on my road bike which has Shimano Drive Train

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Good job! Just got this in the mail yesterday

Attachment 833007

42T ramped aluminum cog! Can't wait to get this installed and try it out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sweet, I take it that's the one from the german forum?

Attachment 833007

42T ramped aluminum cog! Can't wait to get this installed and try it out this weekend.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    Sweet, I take it that's the one from the german forum?
    Exactly. It was a little difficult to navigate the forum even using Google Chrome with translations turned on but the guy speaks (writes) perfect English and had the cog to me in just over a week. Apparently his cogs are pretty well received by the community over there so hoping to have equally favorable results.

mtbr member
    Attachment 833007

Nice! Please let us know how it goes with shifting and how you get it all set up (spacers, chain, etc.). Also, do you mind sharing what you paid for it (including shipping)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    and had the cog to me in just over a week.
    Wow, this went super quick!
    Hope you enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nice! Please let us know how it goes with shifting and how you get it all set up (spacers, chain, etc.).
    Maybe I can do because my German is better than Google´s and I don´t know how much MondoRides understood while reading the very long thread using the translation tool.

The cog is 4mm wide on the inside and replaces one cog plus one spacer of a Shimano cassette. The spider fits perfectly to the cassette spider.
    You can either throw off the 15 or the 17t cog plus the spacer beside this.
    But to get the most perfect gearing steps just replace both cogs and the spacer with a 16t cog. This makes a 10speed cassette of 11 - 13 -16 - 19 -21 -24 - 28 - 32 - 36 - 42.
    For the weight weenies out there: That makes 398g with a 11-36 XT cassette .

Some german guys had issues with the switching lanes (don´t know your word for this and Google´s English is epually crap... ) of the 16t cog so they honed down the biggest tooth of the inner ring to twist it around by circa 170°.

10 or 11speed chains work very well. No special needs.

The new Sram Type 2 or Shimano Shadow Plus derailleurs can handle the big cog using at least a mid cage. Older Shimano Shadow der. will work, too, older Sram der. won´t.
    Even the short Zee Shadow Plus works!

mtbr member

Budget XX1

Nice! Please let us know how it goes with shifting and how you get it all set up (spacers, chain, etc.). Also, do you mind sharing what you paid for it (including shipping)?

Thanks!
    Where did you get this from? I have been waiting for ages for the General Lee Shimano 42 to come back in stock and they don't ever return emails.
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Budget XX1

Quote Originally Posted by FlowinFlo View Post
    Maybe I can do because my German is better than Google´s and I don´t know how much MondoRides understood while reading the very long thread using the translation tool.

The cog is 4mm wide on the inside and replaces one cog plus one spacer of a Shimano cassette. The spider fits perfectly to the cassette spider.
    But to get the most perfect gearing steps just replace both cogs and the spacer with a 16t cog. This makes a 10speed cassette of 11 - 13 -16 - 19 -21 -24 - 28 - 32 - 36 - 42.

Some german guys had issues with the switching lanes (don´t know your word for this and Google´s English is epually crap... ) of the 16t cog so they honed down the biggest tooth of the inner ring to twist it around by circa 170°.

The new Sram Type 2 or Shimano Shadow Plus derailleurs can handle the big cog using at least a mid cage. Older Shimano Shadow der. will work, too, older Sram der. won´t.
    Did anyone mention price and shipping?

Posted via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    All in all (cog, shipping, PayPal, package) it´s pretty much $50.

A guy from a german mtb forum is machining them.
    If anyone is interested in getting such a cog you can take the short way and PM me.

mtbr member

Budget XX1

All in all (cog, shipping, PayPal, package) it´s pretty much $50.
    From?
    cheers
    Pagey

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Thanks!
    Will do. Planning to get it installed for the weekend. I paid €40.00 EUR (around $54) shipped from Germany to California. Not a bad price considering the heavy, bendy, steel 41T cog from eBay if going for $40.

I will post back with my setup and shifting experience once installed.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Thanks for the additional details here Flow. It is a rather long thread and Google Translate only gives you a flavor for what is being said so you miss out on some of the details.

mtbr member
    Google Translate only gives you a flavor for what is being said so you miss out on some of the details.
    Exactly! And this flavor is without any aroma - or being precisely - grammar...

Here´s a pic showing the profile of my XT cassette with the 42t cog (+15t cog):

Attachment 833174

dwt
    mtbr member

Budget XX1

So looks like I will be running symmetrical chain. My drive is Frankendrive anyway. WTC ring, KMC chain, SRAM X0 Type 2 mech, SRAM + General Lee cassette mix.
    Took it out today for maiden trail ride and it shifted fine, if not quite perfectly. Maybe some day I'll get an asym chain and that will be the answer Only problem I had was b-screw not tight enough, which causes the chain to stay in the 40t even with all tension in the cable loosened. Somehow the screw bent moving it enough to lose grip on the tab on the mech,causing the cage to jam the chain on the cog I was able to lever the bent screw in a position which held the cage enough to free the chain, using a tire lever in my trail tool kit.

All in all a success

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast