mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Budget SS / 1x9 cranks?

The price is right, but I'm a little afraid of the HeliCoils in crank arms. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150109252181

All 26.5" all the time!
    I'd be more worried about finding a quality square taper BB in the correct length. Those cranks use either 122.5 or 127.5mm spindles for 68 or 73mm BB shells, respectively. Because they've been obsolete for almost 15 years, they're getting more difficult to find each passing day .

anyone else smell that?
    square tapers aren't that hard to find....but zanetti's right...it may be kind of a dying format.

that being said, i'd rather have a square taper bb than an isis splined. the un53 square taper bb is made in a 122 and 127 and are cheap (around $20) and pretty dang bulletproof if you keep your crank arms tightened.

the ones you pointed to at ebay may be a good buy for you...but only if you don't already have an old set of cranks you could remove the unwanted rings from (or just leave them). i took an old set, removed the outer and inner rings, got some shorter chainring bolts from my lbs and put a jump-stop on the seat tube to keep the chain from bouncing inward. works fine for me. and by the by, i have a 7 year old un72 bottom bracket between those cranks that is still in great shape.