Thread: Broken SRAM x-7

weird guy in the corner..

Broken SRAM x-7

i'm not sure what's actually went wrong but for some reason, the lower jockey wheel on my derailleur's broken into 3 pieces and the whole things been ripped out of the hanger into my back wheel. it broke when i jumped a small flight of stairs. i'm just interested in how it happened, any help would be great.

Freshly Fujified

I had a similar incident

My X.7 r/d got sucked into my rear wheel whilst barrelling through a rock garden a couple years back. To this day I have no idea what the catalyst was that caused the failure. I wish I could be of more help in determining the cause of your incident, but I can only recommend that you just fix the thing and move along. It could be one of numerous things that caused it and you'll drive yourself crazy tring to figure it out.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

MTBR Demi-God
    Maybe the strong vibrations forcibly kicked out the high/low screws? Maybe the cable stops came loose, chain had a bad link, or just that your derailleur came from a bad batch.

I admit I have too much speculation here, but these are the first reasons that I can think of which can cause the jockey wheel to crack and push the derailleur into the spokes.

Did this happen right when you shifted?
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

I ride bikes
    Apr 2006
    I had an X.7 rd get bent to hell after it ate a stick which then resulted in a broken chain and hanger (both the replaceable part and a chunk out of the frame). I think the issue is the SRAM units stick out further than Shimano ones. My XTR sits so much closer to the frame compared to my fiance's X.9.

Sometimes the derailleur can bounce around with a hard impact - maybe it bounced enough to come into contact with the wheel. My XTR bounced enough to shift 4 cogs on the cassette on a small jump.
    2006 Giant Trance 1

Currently un-unemployed

Most likely a bent derailleur hanger

Quote Originally Posted by aznguy
    i'm not sure what's actually went wrong but for some reason, the lower jockey wheel on my derailleur's broken into 3 pieces and the whole things been ripped out of the hanger into my back wheel. it broke when i jumped a small flight of stairs. i'm just interested in how it happened, any help would be great.
    See my post in this thread. Could have bend shortly before you hucked that flight of stairs or some time prior (laying the bike down on the driveside, leaning against a wall supported by the derailleur, etc.).

-R

the weird thing is that i was riding for about 3 hours before that and it was on the way home... oh well, thanks for the help- i'll probably just forget about it and get a new one.

Que pasiones?
    maybe just bad luck, i broke my x7 doing a wheelie. switch all the system to xt (chain, cassete, derailleur's and shifters. and my bad luck continue yesterday when my cranckset broke.
    sorry my english isnīt very good, do you speak spanish?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe not the same thing, but one of the jockey wheels on my X7 seized up, so the chain would jump when pedaled backwards.

If your cage is still ok, maybe try and get X9 jockey wheels to replace it, since x9s have sealed bearings (I think).

mtbr member
    Are you on a FS bike?

Funny ?? to be asking... but is your chain long enough???

I once broke a Der after doing a jump and bottoming the suspension. I was in Big and Big. Chain growth happens
    Bikeless Rider

nope, hardtail, but i talked to my lbs and apparently it was most likely cause my derailleur was a bit bent and when i shifted to a lower gear, the spokes probably caught it...

mtbr member
    Thats exactly what happened to my XT. I guess riding with a bent hanger isnt recomended.