mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Broken kmc x10 chain. It was my fault. But yave a question

When I got my new sl10x chain i automaticly took 3 links out before even tryig it on the bike. It turned out to be a bit to short for my liking and put the links back in. Few months after and countless miles (and 2 or 3 races) it broke while I had a good lead for first place. Bummer. Sure enough it broke where I was messing with it.

Is a chain garbage i a link is pressed out and back in. Do I just buy another quick link to replace the pin. I did put it back together and it was fine for a few hours of riding.

Or is there a way to slightly mushroom the end of the pin. It has nice resistance when pushed back in but Mabye I was just mashing on it to hard.
    Thanks

ouch....
    Regular pins are not meant to be pushed back in. Eventually they will fail at that spot, as you found out.

You can put a quick link in place, or shimano has pins meant to be pushed back in, not sure if they are compatible with KMC chains though.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yea I saw the shimano pins. I wasnt sure if they would work. I guess anothe quick link i the better option then leaving the pin in. When I put it back together I was worried it would come back to haunt me. Sucks it waited till I was on my way to my first win of the year.