ಠ_ಠ

Broken chain still useable?

I recently broke my Pc-99 Sram chain. Luckily I had my multi-tool and I pushed out one of pins removing the damaged link and then pushed the removed pin in. Is this just a fix to get you home, or is the chain still good?

mtbr member
    My experience has been that you can go a long time with a repaired chain but dont expect it to be good as a chain that hasnt had a pin pushed back and forth. I always keep my chains if they break early and will piece a couple of them together. I think the pieced ones have a greater tendency to fail.

mtbr member
    Same thing happened to me on Monday with the same chain as yours. I ran fine yesterday (15 miles of trails) but am going out today to buy a new chain for reserve (in my pack) just in case...

Village Dirtbag
    Most chains have mushroomed ends on the pins. When a pin is pushed out, the mushroom is sheared off and friction is all that is left holding the pin and sideplate together. I've found chains with improv repairs like yours or much more likely to snap in the middle of a steep climb, sending your knees or nads to the stem. I'd replace the bad link (if you can find it) with a powerlink or a proper replacement pin.

Weird huh?

???

Uhh, I'd disagree completely.

Assuming you did a competent job repairing the link, it should be as good as new.
    I understand that the 'multi link' (hyperlink, powerlink etc.) is all the rage and certainly makes service easier:
    You size your chain when it's new anyway. That is, you remove a certain number of links for the fit of your bike.
    Pins aren't mushroomed, they're simply designed to have a tight fit. The proper set has the load on the outer links, leaving the inner link free to move. With the advent of removeable links, there appears to be a proportional amount of folks who aren't well versed in the use of a chaintool. You simply line up the pin as flush as possible with the two outside edges, then move the chain to the other set of 'teeth' on the chaintool. This set applies pressure on only one side, effectively widening and therefor...loosening up the newly repaired link. (so it doesn't jam)
    I've the same chain as you and simply took the power link off the chain. When I remove it, I 'break the chain' and just put it back together when finished.
    What ya don't wanna do is push the pin all the way out. You can get em back in usually, but it's a pain.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I recently broke my Pc-99 Sram chain. Luckily I had my multi-tool and I pushed out one of pins removing the damaged link and then pushed the removed pin in. Is this just a fix to get you home, or is the chain still good?
    Once a chain breaks i never trust it again. Have you measured the chain? Could be the chain is done, i use chain checker but it's simple enough to use a ruler. According to Sheldon Brown at a 1/16" you replace the chain, at 1/8" you are doing damage to your drive chain.