Rat Fink

Broke off XT shifter indicator - replacement necessary?

I busted the indicator unit off my right XT shifter. It looks like it's Shimano part number Y-6K9 98070.

I never really use the idicators but I'm mostly worried about its absence letting dirt get into the shifter body. Does it need to be replaced and does anybody have any idea how much they cost? Also, do I have to order through an LBS or are they available mail order somewhere?
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    I busted the indicator unit off my right XT shifter. It looks like it's Shimano part number Y-6K9 98070.

I never really use the idicators but I'm mostly worried about its absence letting dirt get into the shifter body. Does it need to be replaced and does anybody have any idea how much they cost? Also, do I have to order through an LBS or are they available mail order somewhere?
    not necessary to replace it, just cover the hole(s) with something (tape?). You don't want gunk gettin in there.

you'd have to order it from the LBS or perhaps someplace like http://www.loosescrews.com/
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    i took off my indicator on purpose, since i wanted to move the brake lever on the inside of the shifter. i covered the hole with regular ol'tape. if you have any duct-tape lying around i guess it would make it pretty bombproof.

another guy on my local norwegian mtb-forum has left the hole uncovered for 3 years, and not experienced any problems.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    "Lizard Skins" or similar carbon frame patches do the trick too. Check the weight weenies forum for more ideas; a lot of those guys intentionally remove the indicator to save weight.

Cheers, Dave