mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New question here. Breaking chain to replace derailleur

Hi all, first post...

Middle of last year I brought my old bike from New Zealand to Holland. It made the trip fine as far as I could tell and when I put it back together it rode perfect. Anyway, a few months later I started having problems shifting, I think my front derailleur must have gotten bent during the flight. It worked somewhat for a while, but recently jammed up completely (open chain + dutch winter...) so I removed it. Yesterday I finally got sick of riding with so few gears and went and got a replacement.

My bike is nothing special, a NZ brand, Avanti Montari (05 or so), it had a Shimano FD-M510, but this was difficult to find so I got a M530 instead. I was just looking at it and now I realise that unlike with the 510, you canít open the chain cage... Very annoying, Iím no expert, but breaking the chain sounds tricky.

Anyone have any recommendations? All the rest of the bike has Shimano gear so I assume the chain is also. I've been reading the removable pin on such chains is a use once thing. Buying a replacement pin seems the cheapest option, but is it the best?

You should learn to break a chain, it's a necessary skill and should carry a chain tool for emergencies as well as maintenance, IMHO. I don't see as you have a choice now, and I don't think my newer front derailleurs open up like old ones did now that you mention it, so may as well learn now or go with a single chainring up front.

It's not that hard, but get a decent chain tool, a nice portable functional one like the Park CT-5 works well. Either get a few Shimano replacement pins (you're right, do not reuse a pin you push out of a Shimano chain) or a replaceable (and reuseable) quick chain link like the SRAM Powerlink (there are several brands, too), just match the type of chain (i.e. 8 speed or 9 speed or whatever you're using).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm finding it difficult to get good advice from bike shops here, as you can imagine, Holland isnít huge in mountain biking, most stores only know about commuter bikes. These forums are great.

The reusable quick chain links sounds very useful, especially for cleaning the chain in the future, I think Iíll try find one of them. Now you say there are several brands, but is there much difference? And does the branding of the chain matter in this regard? If not I think Iíll go for a Sram Powerlink 9 Speed.

I think Iím going to try find some dry lube too, once clean I want to keep the chain that way as long as possible.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuatro
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm finding it difficult to get good advice from bike shops here, as you can imagine, Holland isnít huge in mountain biking, most stores only know about commuter bikes. These forums are great.

The reusable quick chain links sounds very useful, especially for cleaning the chain in the future, I think Iíll try find one of them. Now you say there are several brands, but is there much difference? And does the branding of the chain matter in this regard? If not I think Iíll go for a Sram Powerlink 9 Speed.

I think Iím going to try find some dry lube too, once clean I want to keep the chain that way as long as possible.

Thanks again.
    Not much difference among the different brands of quick links, I'd think you might find the Wipperman Connex easier to source where you are, but KMC also has one. You can use them on the different chains, as long as you match to 9 spd or 7/8 spd chains.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique