Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Brand new bike..BB spins..WTF??

i have a brand new scalpel. the other day i was standing up on the bike, really trying to put some power into it to get up a hill and i was at the top of a pedal stroke and the cranks spun around made this funny (zzzztttttttt) noise. could this be a bad BB/ if not, what is it? and how can it be fixed?
    Last edited by kdh344; 12-03-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Boyeeee
    Have you checked your rear hub?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    checked my rear wheel hub? no. why?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Probably asked because if the cranks spun with little or no forward movement of the bike (like the tire slipped and spun), it is your rear hub.
    The cassette pawl mechanism didn't engage, leading to a spin and a "buzz".

Now, if there was no slipping sesnation, maybe tire rub on the chainstay?

Your bb is meant to spin, that's pretty much it's job; if it didn't you wouldn't go very far...

So, what exactly happened, your description isn't a lot of help...but it does sound like pawls slipping so far...
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 12-03-2005 at 11:56 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i was riding up a hill, the chain was engaged and the bike was working fine and suddenly the cranks spun all the way down making the zzzzt noise. i had NOT just changed gears either. i was a the top of a pedal stroke just about to go down and the cranks spun all the way down--zzzzttttt. but it didnt do that UNTIL i really put some power into it. just normal out of the saddle riding didnt do it.i dont think the chain was in between the rings either b/c i wasnt changing gears. hope that helps a bit.im gonna ride it again to see if i can better tell what happened. any suggestions that i might try to determine what the problem is?
    Last edited by kdh344; 12-04-2005 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My scalpel done something that sounds the same. What mine was doing was chain slip on the rear cassette. It kept holding between gears and under a load it would slip. The only way I was able to fix this was to change the 4mm housing to 5mm. Also throw away that plastic piece that holds your housing in that funky position near the rear hub.

banned
    Avid Rollamajig dude. It rocks.

I wouldn't know though.... just what my friends tell me.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Hub

I'm pretty sure it's the pawls slipping in the hub, but you'll know for sure soon because it'll only get worse.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    what does that require..replacement or servicing?

Chrome Toaster
    The cranks are supposed to spin freely. The only thing stopping them is the rear freewheel.cassette. It they go loose all of a sudden under torque it means the freewheel mechanism is slipping or the chain is skipping on the cassette. Skipping can be caused by anything from bad derailleur adjustment to bent teeth on the cassette or a bent hanger. If you heard a buzzing sound its very likely the freewheel is the problem. When its a chainskip whay you will hear is a loud chain popping sound.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by kdh344
    what does that require..replacement or servicing?
    Servicing.

Any decent shop should be able to service a freehub, up to and including replacing the freehub entirely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thanks!!

Let us know which way it went...I came back to the thread to see if it might have been the chain in between cogs due to misadjustment of the derailleur and/or frame flex or something along those lines. Since you said it was new I really didn't think that it could be the chain skipping on the cogs (yet). I know a couple big guys who've been able to strip out cheap freehubs pretty quickly...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the shop where i bought the bike is 3 hours from my home so i cant just pop in and get it serviced. i emailed them yesterday and asked them to refund my money b/c of this response i received from a bike mechanic:

Hi kd,

Your problem sounds like it could be you "freehub body". It is that part of the rear wheel onto which your cassette (the 7, 8 or 9 speed gear cluster) would slide. It could also be that the pawls (small metal parts that are supposed to catch when you pedal forward thus causing the rear wheel to turn) are damaged or sticking.

Because that bike sat for so long, the grease used to lubricate the inside of the free hub body may have become solidified causing the pawls to stick intermittently. The other cause could be that the pawls heads are stripped or worn. If the problem is intermittent I would say that the lubricant is the problem. If it happens regularly then the pawls might be damaged. You can try to lube and or heat the free hub body which might help to soften the grease. If the pawls are the problem you'll have to replace the freehub body.

If it were my bike I would replace the freehub body right away as riding a bike with such a problem could result in loss of control and accident.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Rich Coombs
    ---------------------------------------------------------

i also ps'd him to ask if there is anything else that can potentially go wrong w/this bike since it sat for so long. i havent received an answer yet but i think i already know the answer. hopefully i can get a refund. do you or anyone think i could get any help from cannondale?? btw, this isnt the first prbolem..the first thing was the magura brakes. i had no brakes before i left the shop they said "oh the levers are suppsoed to go all the way to the grips..they're self adjusting and will get tighter w/rides..." BS!!! i had to pay a local shop to fix them. ive had this bike for 2 months and cant even ride it. its like having a ferrari in the driver way but no gas in the tank argh!!!! i emailed cannondale about the brakes but they couldnt help me. any thoughts??

Linoleum Knife
    i also ps'd him to ask if there is anything else that can potentially go wrong w/this bike since it sat for so long. i havent received an answer yet but i think i already know the answer.
    To fix it and get it rideable, you can probably just spray some Triflow into the rear hub and loosen all that up. Take off the cassette lockring and squirt some lube down into the area that is normally covered by the lockring. Don't squirt into the rear hub itself - just into the freehub body.

Here is Everything you could want to know about freehubs..
    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

How long did it sit? More than a year or two?

I doubt you'll get a refund - especially after riding it for 2 months.

If it sat for that long, you probably got a pretty good break on the price...

If you're nice about it, you will probably be able to explain your problem to them and maybe they will give you a free overhaul - they really should have when you bought the bike. If the bike sat long enough for the rear hub grease to dry up, you should get the fork serviced as well. The other stuff (hubs, headset and BB) should just loosen up with riding, but if you can get them to comp it for you.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Before you replace anything based on what's said here make sure (as someone pointed out) that it wasn't just a slippage from one gear to another. That does happen on occasion with lots of 9 speeds(especially under load) and can be caused by dirt/twigs/junk getting in the chain/rear or front derailleur and causing it to momentarily be between cogs/chainrings thus your crank slipped 1/2 a turn. If it didn't happen afterward I wouldn't be overly worried. I'd just clean the drivetrain.

Freshly Fujified

This makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    If you're nice about it, you will probably be able to explain your problem to them and maybe they will give you a free overhaul - they really should have when you bought the bike. If the bike sat long enough for the rear hub grease to dry up, you should get the fork serviced as well. The other stuff (hubs, headset and BB) should just loosen up with riding, but if you can get them to comp it for you.....
    You won't get your money back, I'm pretty sure. The LBS is, however, pretty much on the hook for ensuring that the bike is rideable. They basically sold you "new old stock" which is basically a brand new bike. While I realize the shop is three hours from you, it looks like you need to call them and make arrangements for you to bring the bike in to repair the freehub, and look over everything else (I'd request that they take the cranks off and check to see that the bb is lubed, etc.) including the brakes. Hard to believe they sent you on your way when the levers were touching the grips.

See if they can't agree to taking the bike in first thing in the morning on a day you are available and have it back to you by the end of the day. Find some sort of activity to do that local to the LBS and save yourself the aggrivation of all the back and forth driving. It's going to be a royal PITA, but I just don't see any other reasonable option.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    forkboy, i thought it sat on the sales floor for 2 years but heres what my paper work, manuals etc. say:

-fox shock manual 2001
    -headshock manual 2000
    -warranty sticker in back of owner's manual 2001
    -sales receipt "cannondale scalpel 2004"
    -Hayes brakes manual came w/the bike but the bike has Marta Maguras

so im not sure how long it sat.

im waiting on a response from the shop now..as to whether or not i can get my money back. i got the bike for $2,000. before i left the shop i asked, "is there anything that needs to be done to this bike since its been sitting...?" answer- "no, its good to go"

yeah, clyde, i cant believe they sold me the bike that way either. it breaks my heart to give it back. this is the fastest, most comfortable bike ive ever ridden. i DONT WANNA GIVE IT BACK..but if i cant ride it...??

ANOTHER THING...some of the the big chain ring teeth are pointed..they look almost worn out. i asked the shop owner about that he said "all high end bikes are that way..it enables the chain to move easily back and forth from the small CR to the larger CR." ever heard of that?????????????
    Last edited by kdh344; 12-06-2005 at 11:32 AM.

I don't see why you deserve a refund over this issue since you still don't know what the issue is, and neither does the shop. It's not the shop's fault you live 3 hrs away, make some time to go see them and see what they'll do. The written response to your query was fine, actually better than average.

The brakes might be in need of bleeding or fresh hydraulic fluid if they're old; if they didn't have them in good adjustment at time of purchase and gave you some story about they'll get better on their own, that's just wrong. Chainrings wear, some have teeth of varying shapes; if you got a used one or not hard to tell now. What warranty was given at time of purchase? Is this a dedicated bike shop?
    suum quique

Solum Volamus

I agree...

with Bikinfoolferlife, Call_Me_Clyde, and forkboy. Figure out a way to take it in for repair at the shop or suck it up and get it fixed locally. I don't see how the shop could give you a full refund on a bike you've been riding for 2 months because of a bad freehub and poorly bled brakes. They should be willing to fix it, but only you can decide if it is worth driving 3 hrs to get it done. Just be nice and try to work with the shop instead of demanding this and that. You'll find it usually gets you farther in life.

Just my 2 cents,
    TUMBLEWEED

Freshly Fujified

Chainring teeth

ANOTHER THING...some of the the big chain ring teeth are pointed..they look almost worn out. i asked the shop owner about that he said "all high end bikes are that way..it enables the chain to move easily back and forth from the small CR to the larger CR." ever heard of that?????????????
    I'm pretty sure the LBS is correct on this. Look at any middle or large chain ring and you will see some of the teeth will be pointed, some rounded off or even almost flat. It does help in movement of the chain from ring to ring.

Again, this is my understanding, and if I'm wrong, it won't be the first time.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I don't see why you deserve a refund over this issue since you still don't know what the issue is, and neither does the shop. It's not the shop's fault you live 3 hrs away, make some time to go see them and see what they'll do. The written response to your query was fine, actually better than average.

The brakes might be in need of bleeding or fresh hydraulic fluid if they're old; if they didn't have them in good adjustment at time of purchase and gave you some story about they'll get better on their own, that's just wrong. Chainrings wear, some have teeth of varying shapes; if you got a used one or not hard to tell now. What warranty was given at time of purchase? Is this a dedicated bike shop?
    i havent ridden it for 2 months! i rode it one time and had no brakes. and when i bought the bike and made reference to "no brakes" the shop told me the brakes were fine and would self adjust after a few rides. anyway, after that one ride i took it to the LBS who told me the brakes needed bleeding and it should not have left the sales floor with the levers going all the way to the grips. after i paid to get the brakes fixed locally-the LBS discovered the front calipers/pads were bad (on a brand new bike??!!).. so they arent really fixed after all....then after i got it home i discovered THIS zzzzt problem. i just feel i was sold something that wasnt ride ready and after sitting for so long i think its gonna start nickel and diming me to death. after $2000- im broke. they are nice people at the shop where the bike was purchased so i think they'll work with me.

and that response above from rich coombs was from a bike shop in boston NOT the shop that sold me the bike.

The devil is an angel too
    i havent ridden it for 2 months! i rode it one time and had no brakes. and when i bought the bike and made reference to "no brakes" the shop told me the brakes were fine and would self adjust after a few rides. anyway, after that one ride i took it to the LBS who told me the brakes needed bleeding and it should not have left the sales floor with the levers going all the way to the grips. after i paid to get the brakes fixed locally-the LBS discovered the front calipers/pads were bad (on a brand new bike??!!).. so they arent really fixed after all....then after i got it home i discovered THIS zzzzt problem. i just feel i was sold something that wasnt ride ready and after sitting for so long i think its gonna start nickel and diming me to death. after $2000- im broke. they are nice people at the shop where the bike was purchased so i think they'll work with me.

and that response above from rich coombs was from a bike shop in boston NOT the shop that sold me the bike.
    Just to get things straight, did you buy a new -as in you are the first owner- bike, or did you buy a "used" bike? if it is a "new" bike, my understanding is that, regardless of how long it sat on the shop it should be covered by whatever warranty the manufacturer -not the shop- offers. And it would seem like your bike has some warranty related issues, if it was never used before. Warranty usually covers you from the day you bought the item, not from the day it was manufactured.

If it is a used-demo bike, things are different, and the manufacturers warranty may have expired.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    Just to get things straight, did you buy a new -as in you are the first owner- bike, or did you buy a "used" bike? if it is a "new" bike, my understanding is that, regardless of how long it sat on the shop it should be covered by whatever warranty the manufacturer -not the shop- offers. And it would seem like your bike has some warranty related issues, if it was never used before. Warranty usually covers you from the day you bought the item, not from the day it was manufactured.

If it is a used-demo bike, things are different, and the manufacturers warranty may have expired.
    yep BRAND new..NOT a demo. should i contact cannondale again?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast