mtbr member

Bottom Bracket Sticking

I've got a Niner MCR with Race Face Deus XC Cranks and a Race Face Bottom Bracket.

Bike is about 13 months old with 1,500 miles on it and when cleaning tonight I noticed the cranks were difficult to spin when I had the chain and rear wheel off. There is no noise coming from the bottom bracket, its just very difficult to spin.

Do I need a new bottom bracket? Do I need new bearings? Are they replaceable?

I rode all winter (live in PA) through some pretty wet and muddy conditions, I'm surprised that this is happening only after a year of use.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Replace it with a Shimano XT or XTR BB. Race Face BB's are the weak link in their external bb crank system. Do a search of "Race Face bottom bracket failure" if you want to confirm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes they are replaceable....

as bearings only, but you do need the proper tools to do it. Enduro makes a nice bearing press tool that will remove the bearings from external cups and press in new bearings. However, it is an expensive tool, about $100. So may not be worth it to you. As for bearings, get a set of Enduros. They use a bit of a different sealing system that solves the Race Face durability issues quite nicely. That's of course assuming that you only want ot replace the bearings. If you want to replace the complete cup asseblies then a set of Shimano XT or XTR cups will work, and of course Enduro also produces complete cup assemblies as well. Your choice on that one. The Enduro bearings run smoother than the Shimano offerings, but they both last about as long.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

EDR
    Before you go replacing bearings consider that the interface may be too tight. Remove the crank arms and spin the bearings with your fingers. If they are ok then you have an interface problem, which RF is quite famous for as well. Good luck.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    as bearings only, but you do need the proper tools to do it. Enduro makes a nice bearing press tool that will remove the bearings from external cups and press in new bearings. However, it is an expensive tool, about $100. So may not be worth it to you. As for bearings, get a set of Enduros. They use a bit of a different sealing system that solves the Race Face durability issues quite nicely. That's of course assuming that you only want ot replace the bearings. If you want to replace the complete cup asseblies then a set of Shimano XT or XTR cups will work, and of course Enduro also produces complete cup assemblies as well. Your choice on that one. The Enduro bearings run smoother than the Shimano offerings, but they both last about as long.

Good Dirt

I replaced my stock RF bearings with the enduros a while back. I was able to forgo the fancy bearing press tool and get r done with a hammer and big screwdriver. The RF bearings suck ass. Mine lasted like 6 months. The enduros are much better.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna get a new bottom bracket and send the Race Face one back because they'll get replaced under warranty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I recently replaced my Race Face bearings (X-type setup) with Enduro. I had 750 miles on the bike and one of the bearings was starting to get sticky.

LBS did it for <$50. Took about 30 miles before the cranks were spinning freely, but I'm happy with it now. LBS even had them in stock.

The Enduro is nice as the balls in the bearings are bigger than the RF versions, and they don't require the plastic spacer. I went with bearing only replacement and used the steel version.

Enduro does have the complete bottom brackets too (listed for $75 on the steel version).

Members who have read this thread: 0